Government bail out of professional sport
Posted by: Blarney (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 21:53

With the authorities of professional football, rugby and cricket asking the government for financial aid what are people's thoughts?

For me, no thanks. I love watching pro rugby and I love london irish but these are private businesses and, in the end, is sport that important when compared to healthcare? I would rather the government uses any spare money it has to bolster the NHS, education of infrastructure.

It would be sad if clubs folded and players/staff lost jobs but, come the return to normality, professional teams would rise again.

*EDS: please delete. I've posted this on PM statement thread to avoid multiple threads on same topic*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2020 21:56 by Blarney.

Re: Government bail out of professional sport
Posted by: dooj106 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 22:34

While I completely understand where you are coming from and on a professional level somewhat agree for me it is not that black and white.

Sport plays a key role (particularly at ameatur level) in getting people out and moving and improving fitness and general health. This in turn plays a role in fighting obesity and the associated health problems that that brings. So if people weren't active by playing sport and the obesity problem got worse more pressure would be being put on the health service.

On a professional level I would imagine sport brings in a large amount to the economy each year so to just let professional clubs go under not only effects the economy but will have a huge impact on people when it comes to job losses and not just on the playing side but everyone behind the scenes who we never see.

With that in mind I would like to see the govt do something to help sport at all levels

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2020 22:36 by dooj106.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net