Current Page: 1 of 2
Racing 92 19 - 15 Saracens
Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2020 14:07

Justice done in the end.

By that I mean that Saracens were magnificent, defiant, disruptive, tackled everything and took their chances of points. Their scrum was magnificent, until it started to creak in the last 10. Koch, Itoje and Morris were magnificent. Barritt going off probably crucial. Racing were restricted to glimpses of their potential only, until the last 10 minutes or so. They also made far too many handling errors.

But...

Justice done because the first 70 minutes were just SO sterile, stop-start and (frankly) boring. What Saracens do may be mightily effective, but ye Gods, it fails utterly to stir the soul...! Leave aside the salary cap shenanigans for a moment: they are a desperately difficult side to love, unless you happen to support them! Respect, yes; admire, maybe; but love...?

IMNVHO. ... No.

Re: Racing 92 19 - 15 Saracens
Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2020 15:40

Didnít have the squad depth. Simple as...

Date: 26 September, 2020 16:10

Exeter have been superb against Stade Toulousain.

So - Racing 92 v Exeter Chiefs, venue TBD

Great game in prospect!

Posted by: mackemII (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2020 16:27

Quote:
AlecW
Exeter have been superb against Stade Toulousain.
So - Racing 92 v Exeter Chiefs, venue TBD

Great game in prospect!

Ashton Gate Alec.

Posted by: franciscorrigan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2020 16:52

Barritt departure injured turned the game. Such a turgid affair though. Half an eye on the rugby and one on the cricket and I would not normally do that. What a contrast the Exeter game was. Both eyes on that one. Final should be worth watching(Sm63)

Date: 26 September, 2020 19:43

Pity no-one can be there, Ashton Gate is a great ground...!

Posted by: SixNineOne (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 08:08

Quote:
franciscorrigan
Barritt departure injured turned the game. Such a turgid affair though. Half an eye on the rugby and one on the cricket and I would not normally do that. What a contrast the Exeter game was. Both eyes on that one. Final should be worth watching(Sm63)
itís often the problem in a lot of sports when two very strong teams meet. The match fails to provide much excitement or fireworks and the cognoscenti tell me that you have to focus on the details of the mini-battles going on in the game to get any enjoyment. Itís rather like watching a spin bowler toiling away against a batsman whoís straight batting every ball. To the casual observer nothing seems to be happening but the detail of the contest between bowler and batsman can sometimes be fascinating. Having said that, I freely admit that I also found it hard work to enjoy the match at La Dťfence. The game at Sandy Park was just so much more interesting...

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 10:17

Quote:
SixNineOne
Quote:
franciscorrigan
itís often the problem in a lot of sports when two very strong teams meet. The match fails to provide much excitement or fireworks and the cognoscenti tell me that you have to focus on the details of the mini-battles going on in the game to get any enjoyment. Itís rather like watching a spin bowler toiling away against a batsman whoís straight batting every ball. To the casual observer nothing seems to be happening but the detail of the contest between bowler and batsman can sometimes be fascinating. Having said that, I freely admit that I also found it hard work to enjoy the match at La Dťfence. The game at Sandy Park was just so much more interesting...

You are giving far, far too much credit to Saracens, who should've been deducted a point for every box-kick once they passed a total of 50 box kicks

Date: 27 September, 2020 10:54

Sometimes the box kicks did provide an interesting contest, but Wigglesworth wasnít delivering them with his customary precision, so itís easy to understand how boredom might set in...

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 11:15

They might've provided a split second of interesting contest but they certainly didn't provide 80 minutes of interesting contest...

I wonder if they'll be a bit more expansive in the Championship

Date: 27 September, 2020 11:59

It will be very interesting to see what side the Salarymen put out next season. Their academy side would probably beat most Championship teams, but I bet every star they still have will play both games against Ealing.(Sm63)

Posted by: tatthecraic3 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 12:24

Well. I'd agree. They lacked depth in their squad.

When barritt went down they couldn't move elliot daily in and bring on Liam Williams.

Or when Itoje slowed down they couldn't bring on Skelton.

And when Wray got tired they couldn't bring on Ben Earl

When Alex good was crocked they didn't have Farrell and had to use Vunipola...

Absolutely karma and comupance. Doubt the sarries team and or fans will see it in their contined delusion. But they finally may understand how they won so much...

Posted by: Bill the chip (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 12:33

Exactly that tatthecraic!!!!!

Date: 27 September, 2020 12:52

A few key injuries and couple of bad results next season against Ealing, Pirates or Reds and they could be in serious trouble. Ealing look very strong again and it could be tight for promotion. I can't really see Salarymen not coming back up, but I wonder how much money Wray would be willing to put in and for how long if they if they don't. They are already in massive debt apparently and I wonder how many sponsors are still on board.(Sm63)

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 12:57

Let's hope very very few.

Date: 27 September, 2020 13:03

The steady improvement shown by Ealing and probably also the Pirates and the Reds is unlikely to cause Saracens serious concerns provided they maintain their focus and donít get complacent. It may, however, cause concern for whichever club gets relegated at the end of the 20/21 season (assuming relegation still exists), and this thought is probably niggling at the back of the minds of several of us...

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 13:12

Never been a Sarries hater, have always admired their upstart scrappiness over the years and of course London Irish-connected coaches have played the critical role in their success.

Still, am pleased it wonít be an all English final as an international affair will provide more spice and a sense of occasion.

That Sarries are in any danger of not being promoted back is a pretty far fetched view, to put it kindly. Much more serious is the danger we may not have a Championship given the financial cliff edge we are now facing. In that sad case it wouldnít surprise me if Sarries stayed a Prem club without going through the competitive waste of everyoneís time of posting cricket scores all season long

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2020 13:14 by SteveS.

Date: 27 September, 2020 15:04

Realistically there are few Championship sides with the wish or finances to be a Premiership club. I can see the Championship becoming at best a semi-pro league and the Prem being ring fenced. If that were to occur, there would be some legal challenges from at least Ealing and Pirates. It could be time to consider enlarging the Prem and cutting out the Prem Cup competition, so there aren't too many matches. Fourteen like the other leagues perhaps, or even fifteen clubs, to accomodate the Salarymen, Pirates and Ealing. Without the Cup, that would still be 28 games, as now. Without relegation, teams could play more academy youngsters and would need fewer expensive overseas imports. Financially a much better bet.(Sm63)

Date: 27 September, 2020 21:39

Quote:
franciscorrigan
Realistically there are few Championship sides with the wish or finances to be a Premiership club. I can see the Championship becoming at best a semi-pro league and the Prem being ring fenced. If that were to occur, there would be some legal challenges from at least Ealing and Pirates. It could be time to consider enlarging the Prem and cutting out the Prem Cup competition, so there aren't too many matches. Fourteen like the other leagues perhaps, or even fifteen clubs, to accomodate the Salarymen, Pirates and Ealing. Without the Cup, that would still be 28 games, as now. Without relegation, teams could play more academy youngsters and would need fewer expensive overseas imports. Financially a much better bet.(Sm63)
This is undoubtedly a very sensible and pragmatic proposition and from the Premiershipís perspective Iíd certainly welcome it. In a way, this post lockdown half of the season has felt like a trial run of a ring fenced league and has allowed a lot of younger players to see more first team action, which can only be a good thing. Personally I donít need the threat of relegation to get me on the edge of my seat. I find Iím just as excited by a win even when the match is a so-called dead rubber. My only concern is that whilst itís likely to be a good financial option for the Premiership, what impact will it have on the lower leagues? I suspect that the answer to that question depends heavily on the funding that is pumped into them and with the RFU being so strapped for cash, the outlook could be a bit bleak.

Date: 27 September, 2020 22:39

At the moment it looks like any Championship side without a heavyweight backer will have to take on the Richmond model and be almost true amateurs again. There are already a lot of supposedly full time pros in the Championship earning a pittance for playing and in reality the money just isn't there. The RFU won't fund the Championship to any extent any more and I'm not sure how much Greene King stump up in sponsorship for the league. It would be good to see one of the terrestrial TV channels televise their matches on a regular basis, which might drum up a few more paying supporters over time. The RFU has been completely useless in aiding the growth of the pro game in England. Too many hangers-on with huge expense accounts and committees stuffed with ex players steeped in amateurism and with zero business acumen.
For me, ring-fencing is an unavoidable necessity in the current climate, but not something I would like to see permanently. I can't see the majority of Championship sides ever being able to compete at Prem level, but there's always the possibility of another "Exeter" coming along. Perhaps the answer would be something like the NFL expansion franchises in the USA and if a club, or clubs appear big enough, good enough and sufficiently funded we reorganise the Prem to allow them in. I'm not exactly sure how you would do that, but surely it could be done.(Sm63)

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net