Current Page: 1 of 4
Mike Brown
Posted by: Harleys Evil Step Mum (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 08:35

After yesterdayís performance I would wager that he will never start a game for England again! Possibly an impact sub? And sadly very little chance of being involved next year in Japan!..... always my favourite and gutted he didnít go on the lions tour as back up to Hogg! Hopefully a few more seasons putting in a shift in the quarters!!!?

Re: Mike Brown
Posted by: Kent Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 08:44

Totally agree was cruelly exposed on a couple of occasions and looked a bit lost on the wing. He looked so fed up when subbed. Top level sport can be so cruel and he was never picked when in his pomp. Just hope he can do a Matt Burke and regain his club form and attacking mojo for Quins under PG.

Posted by: Rocker (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 08:59

He was exposed as not being a winger. Which we've all said for years he isn't

Posted by: ironquin1886 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 09:58

I was there and he was awful. Fantastic day out though in the sun and some great tries

Posted by: Cookie (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 10:08

Might want to listen to what EJ said (rightly or wrongly) before terminating his England career.

Posted by: Dibden (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 10:27

This was an incredibly stupid selection that has harmed Mikeís confidence after a miserable season at Quins.Jones has possibly damaged Mikeís future irreparably but hopefully Gussie can give Mike some hope about his future

Posted by: Rocker (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 10:46

Quote:
Cookie
Might want to listen to what EJ said (rightly or wrongly) before terminating his England career.

What did he say?

Posted by: Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 10:37

He said he was excellent, or similar, despite him doing virtually nothing all game.

Eddie could hardly say that Brown struggled as he'd just be opening himself up to more questions and criticisms for his bizarre decision to select him on the wing.

Posted by: Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 11:04

Quote:
Rocker
He was exposed as not being a winger. Which we've all said for years he isn't

Exactly

Posted by: Jammy Git (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 11:12

Really don't know what Eddie was trying to achieve by picking him on the wing. Daly, despite getting done by Ashton a few times, did look good at 15, so if anything that will be a threat to Brown (and rightly so).

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Posted by: 1908 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 12:39

Ashton has been superb all season in France. Could.....and should...still walk into the England side.

Posted by: samlee99 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 13:43

Quote:
Cookie

Nah, what's it got to do with him? This board know best.

Posted by: Kent Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 14:38

Sometimes itís difficult to see what coaches see in certain players....sadly Mikeís grit and attitude towards losing isnít enough.

Love him to bits but not for England sadly.

Posted by: thomh (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 16:08

Quote:
Kent Fan
Top level sport can be so cruel and he was never picked when in his pomp.

I just donít buy this at all - when do you think his ďpompĒ was?

Iíve been a Quins regular for 10-11 years now and it wasnít until 2011/2012 that I thought Brown really deserved to be in the national side. His lack of pace and passing were bigger issues in his first few years. I think people forget how much he improved in the middle section of his career (widely attributed to his work with Margot Wells).

Lancaster picked him regularly from 2012, and regularly at 15 from 2013. Maybe he should have been picked at 15 a bit sooner, but Foden was also really good then. Itís definitely not the case that Brown was past his best by the time England picked him.

Posted by: Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 16:30

I think his club pomp came well before his regular place in the England side, although probably his best rugby was in 2012 to 13 for England, bearing in mind the step up needed from club rugby.

I remember Brown as a younger man dominating the premiership stats for several years for all the things you expect to see from backs excelling. It was no surprise when I just checked his try scoring record to see that in his 7 seasons to winning the prem he scored 62 tries (1 in every 3 games) and in the 6 seasons since he has scored 23 tries (1 in 5).

Posted by: The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 16:49

He hasn't been the same - for England or Quins - since he had the long lay-off for concussion, but to write a bloke off for having a bad game out of position is a bit harsh. All a bit cobblers really.

Posted by: Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 18:37

He does not have the pace for intíl wing or even Quins wing, he does have the attributes of 15. If Daly and Brown had played in the opposite positions the two early scores may not have happened. Once the winger got round MB he had no chance.

Posted by: thomh (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 20:59

Quote:
The Dead Baron
He hasn't been the same - for England or Quins - since he had the long lay-off for concussion, but to write a bloke off for having a bad game out of position is a bit harsh. All a bit cobblers really.

He was probably England's best player at the 2015. Genuinely exceptional in the first two games. That was since the concussion.

Think time generally has started to catch up with him rather than any particular injury.

Posted by: SiBolton (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2018 21:53

Yeah no good s a winger, is thatís because heís a full back
Still moving on canít we have a go at Gustard and his awful defence against the BaBaas
Oh and letís not forget Robshaw who missed 6 tackles
Marley and Sinck what about them
As for Ashton, chose the euro over the pound, end of

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2018 21:54 by SiBolton.

Posted by: Harleys Evil Step Mum (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 06:53

Sunday would have been a perfect game to give Lewington a go, other Countries blood their youngsters!!

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net