Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mike Brown
Posted by: Mayor West (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 07:14

I've only seen highlights but it didn't look like the England players were putting much effort in. It looked more like a training game. The older players seemed tired and lethargic. It's a bad time to have another game at the end of the season with a tour starting in two weeks. Perhaps EJ was trying Daly at 15 to see how he went and wanted Mike on the pitch as he's vice captain. It's turned into an exhibition game now so you can't read too much into the result.

Posted by: HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 07:29

Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Sunday would have been a perfect game to give Lewington a go, other Countries blood their youngsters!!

Think that is a bit unfair, Curry and Mercer were both playing. Earle, Earl, Redpath (but for injury) going to SA. Isiekwe been in the set up a while

Posted by: Harleys Evil Step Mum (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 10:46

But these games are PERFECT for giving young wingers a go........I'm no expert, but think Jordan Larmour, Jacob Stockdale, Reiko Iouane, Josh Adams.....sure there are loads more!! Are we saying THERE ARE NO young wingers in this country???????? (I've got a 17 year old who would have put in a better shift!!!!)

Posted by: thomh (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 11:21

I suspect Jones wanted to give Daly a go at 15 but also wanted the ability to switch them back, if it wasn't working, without having to use a replacement.

You could still argue that was over-cautious, but I doubt it's that Jones genuinely thought that Brown on the left wing was the best option for England.

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 16:09

Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
But these games are PERFECT for giving young wingers a go........I'm no expert, but think Jordan Larmour, Jacob Stockdale, Reiko Iouane, Josh Adams.....sure there are loads more!! Are we saying THERE ARE NO young wingers in this country???????? (I've got a 17 year old who would have put in a better shift!!!!)

There are young wingers but he already had a new centre partnership and was experimenting with Daly at 15. How many young/new players is too many?

Bear in mind that Larmour and Stockdale were playing with the likes of Kearney and Earles around them.

Posted by: Mayor West (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 17:02

Don't forget that some of these young wingers are in the U20 World Cup starting tomorrow.

Posted by: Jammy Git (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 17:16

Quote:
Ashton has been superb all season in France. Could.....and should...still walk into the England side.

Walking would explain getting chased down by George Ford, at any rate.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Date: 29 May, 2018 17:32

And also dont forget as well as the wingers in the U20, there are the ones that are injured (lewington being one according to the updated SA squad release)

Posted by: EvilMole (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 09:46

I think what it proved was that we have one player who can play equally well at fullback or wing (Daly) and one who really can't play anywhere except fullback (Mike).

So what matters at this point for Mike's England career is whether EJ wants a second utility back, knowing that he has plenty of options at wing. If he's happy to go into the World Cup with a player who can only play at FB, that will be fine. If he prefers two players who can play in multiple positions, he might not be.

Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 11:08

Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Ashton has been superb all season in France. Could.....and should...still walk into the England side.

Walking would explain getting chased down by George Ford, at any rate.

To quote Ugo - at the expense of who?

Date: 05 June, 2018 11:32

I would still have May and Watson over Ashton

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 11:48

Ashton is an energy sapper.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Date: 07 June, 2018 11:20

Well clearly what do I know?.....he's very obviously one of the TWO best wingers in the whole country!!? GOOD LUCK MIKE!!

Starting XV for first Test v Saffers
Date: 07 June, 2018 11:25

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 18 caps), 14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 34 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 10 caps), 12 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 58 caps), 11 Mike Brown (Harlequins, 69 caps), 10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 74 caps); 1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 49 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 25 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 10 caps), 4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 19 caps), 5 Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, 2 caps), 6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 64 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 1 cap), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 34 caps).

Finishers

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 5 caps), 17 Joe Marler (Harlequins, 56 caps), 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 8 caps), 19 Brad Shields (Hurricanes/ Wasps, 0 caps), 20 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 14 caps), 21 Ben Spencer (Saracens, 0 caps), 22 Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 3 caps), 23 Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks, 2 caps).

Re: Starting XV for first Test v Saffers
Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 12:06

Bizarre.

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 16:42

He was so convincing against the Baas, he has picked him for a full test.... Hmmmm.
I assume he needs a proper fullback in the game if things go wrong...as they did against a scratch side.

Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 09:58

Quote:
John Tee
He was so convincing against the Baas, he has picked him for a full test.... Hmmmm.
I assume he needs a proper fullback in the game if things go wrong...as they did against a scratch side.

As per other thread Jones says not - says game has changed and wings now better operating around breakdown - hence picked Brown

Posted by: Cookie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 14:55

Shhhhhhhhh............

Date: 09 June, 2018 15:04

Well, after saying it was a bad move Brown is having a cracking game so far. England looking good. Backs combining really well

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 15:20

And Daly just handed them a try.

BB

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net