Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Poll: Should we leave sportnetwork?
Posted by: QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 05:08

A total of 36 have responded to the survey. Hmm.

Posted by: DOK. (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 11:55

What's your thinking QQ, enough for a quorum or too few? smiling smiley

Posted by: ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 12:13

Personally DOK , Im sure you hold the 'Block Vote' on this .

Whilst there are many things that are irritating about SN , under your stewardship it serves us well .

But , if you feel that there is a better way to give us a forum ( and hopefully make life easier for you as well) , then no one is going to object to a change

I doubt there is a long queue waiting to take over from you .

Im happy with what you decide is the best way forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 12:15 by ChipsteadQuin.

Date: 05 June, 2018 15:33

Well I'll start by drawing SportNetwork's attention to the poll and see if they are at all interested in upgrading their offering.

Date: 05 June, 2018 16:05

Quote:
DOK
What's your thinking QQ, enough for a quorum or too few? smiling smiley

Not sure about the size of a quorum that might be required/desirable, but I feel there are disappointingly few responses.

Posted by: InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 20:10

I reckon almost forty is a good response. There aren't that many who post here regularly.

And lurkers would be able to lurk regardless of our location.

I reckon the inertia of an existing site with history to it is quite something to change course on

Posted by: TW Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 21:58

Does anyone know how Glaws shedweb site works would that model suit?

Date: 05 June, 2018 22:24

Either they pay for it, or have a resident geek with lots of Microsoft credits.

For the technically minded, it's a WordPress site, hosted on Microsoft Azure, with a phpBB forum themed to fit in with the main site.

Posted by: QuinAlan (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 19:24

Vote No 50 here. I say look for a better home, but absolutely appreciate everything you do DOK. So am happy to go wherever you take us!

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 19:45

Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere
Either they pay for it, or have a resident geek with lots of Microsoft credits.
For the technically minded, it's a WordPress site, hosted on Microsoft Azure, with a phpBB forum themed to fit in with the main site.

Great info but it has existed longer than Azure. Who provides the service to them?

BB

Date: 06 June, 2018 21:07

No idea, sorry. The DNS is hosted by digital ocean, equally new on the scene compared to their site. The domain is registered through 123-reg.

I'm guessing resident geek(s).

Only way to be sure would be to ask. I'm happy to do this, but after my holidays.

Posted by: Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2018 07:06

You do a great job DOK, but if it's causing you headaches I'm happy if we move. One nice feature in a new forum would be an "ignore" button smiling smiley

Date: 07 June, 2018 07:29

Quote:
Quinky Kin
You do a great job DOK, but if it's causing you headaches I'm happy if we move. One nice feature in a new forum would be an "ignore" button smiling smiley

How would that work?

Date: 07 June, 2018 08:08

The problem is there's no countdown on that stupid system that shuts the message board if you don't post on the front page. It's no problem during the season because our match previews/reports go up every week.

The last time putting a new post up didn't solve the problem, leaving a message on the moderators' message board produced no result and it was only when I used the abuse email I got a response.

I might create a Mickey Mouse place we can use in emergency and just give you all the link to bookmark and put it on the front page too. Then we can carry on for a few days regardless.

Date: 07 June, 2018 08:24

Quote:
Quinky Kin
You do a great job DOK, but if it's causing you headaches I'm happy if we move.

Agree with that.

However, beware of frying pans and fires.

Posted by: plzd (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 19:27

Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere
I reckon almost forty is a good response. There aren't that many who post here regularly.

I reckon the inertia of an existing site with history to it is quite something to change course on
a lot of people don't bother to post because of the childish insults that some of the regular posters on the site indulge in from the safety of the keyboard that is why the number of posters is so small that will not change whatever platform is used

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2018 20:24

Quote:
plzd
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere

a lot of people don't bother to post because of the childish insults that some of the regular posters on the site indulge in from the safety of the keyboard that is why the number of posters is so small that will not change whatever platform is used

I post but as a non-Quins fan, I feel Id be overstepping the mark to vote.

Posted by: raedarius (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 13:01

Quote:
plzd
Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere

That's interesting, because I assumed that you were the latest ID from the person who constantly carps about the other posters...

Posted by: thescottk (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2018 17:26

I'm a lurker in the main - but the functionality of the site is pretty poor and I wouldn't be too sad to leave IF there were better alternatives - particularly with better mobile access

Posted by: trummy200 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2018 11:11

As an 'outsider' I would like to point out that at the moment users of SN can have a look round all the boards very easily - I do like that - especially on a miserable winters day when its not fit to be doing much else. Its unfortunate that abuse or trolls can have a negative impact - some boards seem more affected than others. Guess it only takes one bad apple!

Current Page: 2 of 3
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net