The incoming (team of) talent
Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 06:35

With some time on my hands I was interested in reviewing next seasons signings across the league. It was quite interesting to see the amount of players joining the premiership from outside the league (especially with the salary cap). When looking at the players it’s only natural for a rugby player to put them into a team.

15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter)
14. Waisake Naholo (Irish)
13. Matt Proctor (Northampton)
12. Malakai Fekitoa (Wasps)
11. Melani Nanai (Worcester)
10. Paddy Jackson (Irish)
9. Nic Phipps (Irish)

1. Owen Franks (Northampton)
2. Akker van der Merwe (Sale)
3. Sekope Kepu (Irish)
4. Adam Coleman (Irish)
5. Lood de Jager (Sale)
6. Sean O’Brien (Irish)
7. Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale)
8. Jordan Taufua (Leicester)

16. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen (Wasps)
17. Santiago Botta (Harlequins)
18. Matt Moulds (Worcester)
19. Tomás Lavanini (Leicester)
20. Dan du Preez (Sale)
21. Curtis Rona (Irish)
22. Matteo Minozzi (Wasps)

The balance probably isn’t quite what you’d wish but I think we can all agree there will be some exciting players gracing the league next season. Is the above an unprecedented amount of talent coming into the league in one season? And how do people think the teams will far especially recruiting so many players with little premiership experience?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2019 06:36 by Awaywin.

Re: The incoming (team of) talent
Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 08:41

Seems obvious we will spend the next couple of years referring to our northern friends as SAle

Posted by: Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 08:58

As I have said before, I don't mind seeing some exceptional imports in the Premiership but I do worry that too many journeymen are recruited thus diluting the opportunites for young talent. We are a long way from football but the danger of over reliance of overseas players is most certainly there.

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 09:26

Quote:
Houghton Saint
As I have said before, I don't mind seeing some exceptional imports in the Premiership but I do worry that too many journeymen are recruited thus diluting the opportunites for young talent. We are a long way from football but the danger of over reliance of overseas players is most certainly there.

I share your concerns however it is interesting to note that both Boyd and Lam have place a huge emphasis on stating that they wish to develop young English players and in Lam’s case Bristolians and England internationals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2019 09:27 by Awaywin.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 10:13

As with everything always a balancing act, there are never going to be enough players of the right standard just from Bristol or Northants, or even England for that matter. However the trick is making sure those that you do bring through pay alongside a smattering of the best in the world and learn from them.

Where this works it really works - see Reinach and Mitchell. The youngster played so well he almost pushed Reinach out of the starting team, forcing him to up his game, giving us two great scrum halves. I can't imagine Grayson won't be constantly learning from Biggs, the front row guys will learn a lot from Franks, Hask and Brussow etc etc.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 10:37

I think we’ve done a good job in this respect and it dates back to a certain Wayne Shelford doing this job with Tim Rodber.

Posted by: SaintGuy (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 18:31

Quote:
Awaywin
Is the above an unprecedented amount of talent coming into the league in one season?

This is more than usual, however it is a world cup year and normally the league get an influx of Southern hemisphere players after the world cup as know they can not make the next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net