Current Page: 1 of 2
Teams Up
Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:24

Saints: Tuala; Collins, Hutchinson, Francis, Naiyaravoro; Biggar, Reinach; van Wyk, Fish, Painter; Moon, Ratuniyarawa; Lawes, Ludlam, Harrison (c).

Replacements: Dawidiuk, Waller, Hill, Ribbans, Gibson, Wood, Mitchell, Burrell.

Well, gone with a bigger pack. Dylan doesn't make it. Waller to the bench and Lawes into 6. We've obviously gone to address scrum issues, fingers crossed it pays off.

Re: Teams Up
Posted by: Stockers (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:33

And a 6:2 split on the bench! Going for the heavy cavalry methinks.

Posted by: Saint Robert (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:40

Quote:
Stockers
And a 6:2 split on the bench! Going for the heavy cavalry methinks.

Seems like a bit of a risk given the knocks our backs have had in recent weeks.

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:45

The lack of back 3 cover is concerning, I don't think you need Wood and Gibson on the bench, but who am I to question Mr Boyd?! I like the changes to the starting XV. More balast and bite in the scrum but that pack still offers plenty around the pack, it's our best forward lineup at this time in my opinion.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Posted by: Nickd57 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:46

Really like the look of the team. much heavier pack I believe and hope Painter goes well. Big opportunity for him. In terms of captaincy, not for a moment questioning Tei, but wonder whether Dan or Piers have ever been considered. COYS!

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:49

Quote:
Abington Adam
The lack of back 3 cover is concerning, I don't think you need Wood and Gibson on the bench, but who am I to question Mr Boyd?! I like the changes to the starting XV. More balast and bite in the scrum but that pack still offers plenty around the pack, it's our best forward lineup at this time in my opinion.

Cobus can play on the wing

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:54

Do you think Cobus has the pace to play on the wing? *

Posted by: mayhem (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 12:59

Narr, nor the skill*

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:01

Actually Mitchell could go to wing to, he is no slouch! So we have 9s with pace to burn

Look at the try a few weeks ago, when we scored from well inside our own 22, he was with Collins the whole time

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:14

Well we have made the changes we all felt were needed and that is a monster pack by our standards. As mentioned we dont loose a huge amount in the loose either. I do expect Api and Tei to do most of the carrying for the forwards as both have an uncanny skill of getting over the gain line but we will still have the skils to release the backs.

IF we can get parity at scrum time its game on.

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:17

Maybe we will see Gibbo do a cameo in the centres!

If we happened to need a third injury sub in the backs, we would already be in trouble.

Posted by: 195Rich (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:28

A pity about Dylan, I would have liked to see him on the bench.
Relying on last weeks team with no changes would have likely produced the same result. Methinks this is an immaginative selection, which if it works, gives us some chance of parity in the scrum and pulling off a shock.
Come on boys!!!!

Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:34

and the Chiefs are:

15 Jack Nowell
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Henry Slade
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Tom O’Flaherty
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White
1 Ben Moon
2 Jack Yeandle (capt)
3 Harry Williams
4 Dave Dennis
5 Jonny Hill
6 Dave Ewers
7 Don Armand
8 Matt Kvesic

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie
17 Alec Hepburn
18 Tomas Francis
19 Sam Skinner
20 Sam Simmonds
21 Jack Maunder
22 Gareth Steenson
23 Sam Hill

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:38

Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Maybe we will see Gibbo do a cameo in the centres!
If we happened to need a third injury sub in the backs, we would already be in trouble.

Beat me to it.

Posted by: protestbeat (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 13:41

Calculated risk. Need to front up and make sure we are in the game with 20 mins to go. I think one of the shoots of positiity this year is that some of our backs look more well rounded. I'd argue that any these guys could do a job in the following positions if required:

10, Biggar, Francis, Hutch,
12, Francis, Burrell, Hutch, Biggar, Ace
13, Hutch, Burrell, Francis, Collins
11 & 14, Big T, Collins, Ace, Reinarch, Mitchell, Hutch....
15, Ace, Collins, Biggar, Hutch(again!)

And that's not including Gibbo who thinks he's a back anyway.

That said a double injury at either 13 or 15 could disrupt our game a fair bit but I kinda get the calcualted risk.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 14:13

Gibbo has been popping up on the wing a lot lately anyway. Pretty sure we had Reinach on the wing when Mitchell scored that late try against Quins. I'd rather have a back playing a little out of position and relative parity up front that getting beaten up in the set piece with the 'ideal' backline behind. It is a little worrying with Francis definitely a little banged up from last week from the start but we need to do something.

Biggs will always provide a lot of leadership as will Francis but I like a captain in the forwards, especially given that is likely where Saturday is won or lost. Drawing attention to things like flying in off feet, if done in the right way could make all the difference.

Posted by: Ady32 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 14:15

Don’t forget he also covers the wings *

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 14:21

Quote:
protestbeat
And that's not including Gibbo who thinks he's a back anyway.

He has certainly turned up on the wing more this season than ever before. I dont mind too much though as he does graft when needed and its been very effective.

Posted by: Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 14:29

Don't you reckon it's designed for competing at the end of the game stuff against Exeter's well fed chaps - Api and Lewis to give everything for the first 50 minutes or so then Courts to second row and Tom and Jamie to fight out the finish (injuries permitting) with Dave Ribbans joining the fray at some stage (and props rotating as usual).

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2019 14:54

We do seem to be trying to match them at what we know they are better at than us and giving away our advantage. Obviously it all comes down to the day and who wins but that doesn't seem a very positive selection to me.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net