Current Page: 1 of 2
Rule clarification on overseas players
Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 05:41

Can anyone clarify the ruling. I have seen on a few threads the inability to select a team with Proctor and both Franks. I can not find this ruling anywhere and I am aware of examples in previous seasons where teams have fielded more than two overseas players at the same time. Could anyone clarify it would be much appreciated. Also what countries people count towards this quota.

Re: Rule clarification on overseas players
Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 07:11

When he was at LI Ben Franks wasn't counted as overseas as he has an English mother. Having played for NZ didn't matter.

Assume the same rules still apply

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 07:16

If that is the case we hope that applies to Owen as well :-)

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 09:52

Basically it comes down to the Kolpak Ruling ( See here for more info)

You also need to combine this with if a player is enabled to play under heritage and I also believe residency comes into it (could be wrong on the last one)

All this said it could all change next week anyway, the only article I can find with no paywall is from RugbyPass.

Other paywalled articles say pretty much the same thing, although reading articles on county cricket, the general gist is that the current laws will remain until the end of this season (2020 season in cricket)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2019 10:00 by Saint Ted.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 10:04

WAB wonít pass cos Labour will add on CU and 2nd ref, so will be pulled. Thanks Letwin. Then GE December. Boris majority, back in January to get his deal done.

@#$%& wasting everyoneís time

The WA will eventually have framework similar to current arrangement until parliament passes primary legislation to repeal it. However we will be in the transition period so nothing changes. WA is mainly about path to final destination, ties up the divorce bill and sets a date for that to be implemented.

So basically I think nothing done until well into 2021 because deadline will be moved

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 11:12

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
If that is the case we hope that applies to Owen as well :-)

Lol Chris, best on here for some time (Sm128)

Posted by: stoofer (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 11:45

Yay! Brexit (again)! (Sm156)

'Cos we're not allowed nice things!

Date: 21 October, 2019 11:50

decentralised power is a wonderful thing

enough politics now

Posted by: stoofer (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 13:15

...I quite like freedom of movement...,,Frictionless trade.....peace and prosperity.... truth... public services....social mobility and representative democracy. Oh and the environment, that too.

But each to their own.

Date: 21 October, 2019 13:46

Stick to rugby please

Happy to DM if you want to hear an alternative, I assume not given the Ďtruthí statement.

Surely premier rugby and the RFU will be lobbying government to introduce a Kolpak like system, is that possible? Can we waiver work visas for those countries? Iíve no idea .... I think it would be a very good thing to do especially given a load of those guys are from poor countries and communities plus add so much to our game.

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 13:50

Quote:
stoofer
...I quite like freedom of movement...,,Frictionless trade.....peace and prosperity.... truth... public services....social mobility and representative democracy. Oh and the environment, that too.
But each to their own.

Well said

Date: 21 October, 2019 14:15

Ramsey leave it out FFS, no one cares what you or any other Saints fan thinks about the EU

I could slice through a lot of that content but itís a rugby forum

Stick to rugby

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 14:27

From a purely rugby aspect if and when we leave the EU it would be up to the UK government of the day to decide whether they want a separate agreement with quite a lot of countries to replace Kolpak. I can't see that happening so overseas players would presumably be subject to the same work visa regulations as any other foreigner, although there might be special arrangements for top quality sports people. Within that law the rugby authorities would be at liberty to set their own rules about how many may play at a time.

Date: 21 October, 2019 14:29

big caveat there, why canít you see that happening ?

Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 15:08

WP I love that you opened the Brexit debate then proceeded to say stick to rugby please.

Date: 21 October, 2019 15:20

LOL Teds fault and he edited his post whilst typing mine! Ted you should work in politics

my reply is only about procedure and timelines not view on No Deal, Deal, Canada or whatever

for the record Iím Pro Norway which is completely off the table so who cares.. :-)

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 15:38

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Ramsey leave it out FFS, no one cares what you or any other Saints fan thinks about the EU

I could slice through a lot of that content but itís a rugby forum

Stick to rugby

Pots and kettles spring to mind WP.

You introduced politics in to the thread!

Date: 21 October, 2019 15:46

If we are discussing Kolpak and itís effect after Brexit we should probably discuss the Brexit process and likely timelines

That does not mean we should be giving Brexit views. Weíve had over 3 years of that and Iím pretty sure no one is changing minds at this juncture or that itís relevant to Kolpak.

No one cares, use Twitter or a Facebook politics site

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 16:23

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
If we are discussing Kolpak and itís effect after Brexit we should probably discuss the Brexit process and likely timelines

That does not mean we should be giving Brexit views. Weíve had over 3 years of that and Iím pretty sure no one is changing minds at this juncture or that itís relevant to Kolpak.

No one cares, use Twitter or a Facebook politics site

WP, you mentioned Labour, Letwin & Boris when no need to do so, you could have explained without their reference.
As far as Kolpak goes it was a EU ruling that allowed citizens of countries that have signed 'European Union Association Agreements' the same rights of freedom of employment & movement within the EU as EU citizens.
Free movement will end December 2020 and as we will no longer be in the EU then Kolpak will be irrelevant.
The chances of a similar agreement with the countries included being negotiated before the end of 2020 will be slim to zero and these players will have to meet the entry criteria of as any other overseas player.

Posted by: TheGent (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 16:37

WP you're hilarious.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net