Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rule clarification on overseas players
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 16:41

So how many 'foreign' players can we have on the pitch at one time? Is it 2 and do the Frank's brothers qualify as EU through a parent?

I mean right now, ignoring any Brexit deals, no deals or any other political outcome.

Could we have both Franks and Proctor in the same side?

On another note, if not through parentage, could Ben Franks be eligible through residency?

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 17:05

Apparently yes both qualify through grandparent

So only Proctor ...

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 17:06

Quote:
Saint Stokey
So how many 'foreign' players can we have on the pitch at one time? Is it 2 and do the Frank's brothers qualify as EU through a parent?
I mean right now, ignoring any Brexit deals, no deals or any other political outcome.

Could we have both Franks and Proctor in the same side?

On another note, if not through parentage, could Ben Franks be eligible through residency?

I believe that if you have an English parent or grandparent then you are not classed as 'foreign '

With regards to residency i think the qualifying period is 5 years.

From the Premiership Rugby Website if it helps?

The legal definition of foreign players is different to one of non-English players.

Bosman and Kolpak

The Bosman ruling reinforced the Treaty of Rome in a sporting context, allowing the free movement of EU national workers around other EU countries. This effectively means any EU national has the same rights as any 'local' worker and therefore cannot be defined as a foreigner.

Premiership rules
The rule on foreign players has been amended to come into line with the regulations in European competitions. A maximum of two foreign players can now be on the pitch at any one time, at all periods during the season.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 17:08

and this is an extract from the Premiership competition regulations as stipulated by the RFU:

“Foreign Player” is a person who does not qualify as a Non-Foreign Player. A
Non-Foreign Player is a person who, at the point that he is
included in the Match Squad:
(a) can prove to the satisfaction of the RFU that he is entitled to
the rights granted under Title IV, Article 45 of the Treaty on the
Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) or under the
European Economic Area or of a state with which the European
Community has entered into an agreement that includes directly
effective provisions conferring equivalent rights of nondiscrimination against that state’s nationals within the European
Union;
Note: A passport of a member state of the European Community
will normally be accepted as evidence that a player is a NonForeign Player

(b) can prove to the satisfaction of the RFU that pursuant to
World Rugby Regulation 8.1 he is eligible to play for the senior
fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior
fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the senior
National Representative Sevens Team (as defined in World
Rugby regulations) of a Rugby Union in membership of the
European Union/European Economic Area; or
(c) has been selected for the England Senior XV, Next Senior
XV or U20 XV or England’s National VII.

Make what you will of it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2019 17:11 by tedge.

Date: 21 October, 2019 17:27

Where does the ‘only 2 non European’ rule come from? Why was it brought in? Can’t see many other professions where discriminating by nationality would be allowed (after visa qualifying etc)

Posted by: Saint Ted (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 17:51

I thought the whole thing stemmed from football to be honest, got absolutely no proof of that btw, just a vague memory.

Also, back to your former point, don't blame me, I thought I was smart enough to edit my post before anyone had read it! It was the middle of the morning, people should have been working!

(For what it's worth my original post was slightly dumb thinking even the mention of the word Brexit would cause anything other than an argument, I say this as someone who has absolutely zero interest in it or politics, there are people in amazonian tribes that have never heard of the uk that care more than I do)

Posted by: white lion (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 18:15

By 'decentralised power' I assume WP is advocating anarchy!

Date: 21 October, 2019 19:17

who knows destination but IMHO this is basically the underling reason why people are voting/acting as they are ... eg Scots, Catalans, Brits, Hong Kong, US (state going against federal govt over drugs), various 'populist' european movements etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2019 19:20 by Wilson Pickett.

Date: 21 October, 2019 19:36

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Where does the ‘only 2 non European’ rule come from? Why was it brought in? Can’t see many other professions where discriminating by nationality would be allowed (after visa qualifying etc)

any ideas on this ?

Posted by: stoofer (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2019 20:25

This is clearly not the forum, but,

Wilson - really! You are conflating a lot of disparate phenomenon there. HK, Brexit and Scottish Nationalism? Seriously?

Brexit is not that hard to fathom. It’s just a classic bait and switch after a decade of self-imposed austerity that was itself based on an objective lie.

It promised to solve everyone’s problems and blamed them all on a convenient ‘foreign’ scapegoat. That it has now become a pretext for deregulation, rolling back environmental protections and the further transfer of wealth from the poorest to the richest betrays the agenda of those now leading it.

As for where such bone-headed, authoritarian, nationalist projects end? Well fairly recent history has quite a lot to say about that if you look.

Date: 21 October, 2019 21:20

I seem to have lost the ability to close threads, leave the politics out of it. It's not relevant and only leads to arguments where no one really comes out the winner

Date: 21 October, 2019 22:09

Remoaners gonna Remoan Ted

Posted by: stoofer (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2019 06:16

Apologies Mods - No more politics from me.

It’s just difficult to allow such juvenile nonsense to pass unremarked.

Posted by: Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2019 13:00

Quote:
Saint Ted
I seem to have lost the ability to close threads

'Close this thread' button under the first post by 'Awaywin' fella

Date: 22 October, 2019 13:30

I could not see that for looking! Thanks!

Posted by: SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2019 18:01

Quote:
Saint Ted
I could not see that for looking! Thanks!

Go hit it the Ted

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net