Current Page: 1 of 2
Good news bad news
Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 17:04

So Brussow has been forced to retire but big T has signed on for another two years!
Shame we didnít see more of Brussow on the field but sounds like he had a big impact on the likes of Ludlum while he was here. I know there are still doubters but Iím a big fan of big T, heís got even more to come too.

Re: Good news bad news
Posted by: Yorkie Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 17:07

So pleased with this. Rugby is entertainment and every time big T gets the ball you have that air of expectation. Proper pre season behind him. Boyds coaching. This could be fun.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 17:35

Anyone who went to Allianz last week wouldnít be a doubter !

Sarries fans around me all saying they wished they had him. Hands off !

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 18:01

Also no immediate plans to bring anyone in for Heinz.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 19:39

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Also no immediate plans to bring anyone in for Heinz.
Chris Boydís comments on the offy donít make any reference to whether he will or wonít.

Date: 23 October, 2019 19:53

Dragon boy the reference was made by Mark Darbon on the Saints show

Date: 23 October, 2019 20:31

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Dragon boy the reference was made by Mark Darbon on the Saints show
Thanks for that Chris. I usually catch that on Thursdays.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 21:32

I heard that we are right up to the Cap but does Brussow retiring mean we have money to spare? Could that be used for new players in January?

Date: 24 October, 2019 07:20

Also from the saints show was that they are already planning for next season. They said there are not many players available at the moment that are not in contract. I could imagine that we would only need another player if we lost more through injuries.

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2019 18:51

When is Brad Shields contract up at Wasps?

Date: 25 October, 2019 00:21

Quote:
Brackleysaint
When is Brad Shields contract up at Wasps?
Dont know. Donít care. Our sights should be set higher than Brad Shields.

Date: 25 October, 2019 06:46

This summer. I reckon we will sign him as a leader around camp to replace Dylan

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2019 07:27

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
This summer. I reckon we will sign him as a leader around camp to replace Dylan

I know he has the Boyd connection. But from a playing point of view Iíd rather have someone like Dombrandt.
I guess if Biggar leaves too we will be short on leaders but hopefully lads within the squad can step up and we can recruit on performance and value for money rather than leadership qualities.

Date: 25 October, 2019 08:16

Thereís a fine line between good young players and an inexperienced squad. Next year Wood, maybe Gibson, Ben Franks, Haskell already gone, Dylan... thatís a real leadership vacuum.

Iíd be good with it. Heís a real pro and would help set the right tone.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2019 08:25

I would guess all new recruits are selected firstly and mainly on their ability and what they can bring, add to the playing quality on the pitch; leadership would be a bonus but not the driving factor.

Date: 25 October, 2019 08:38

I see what you're saying in terms of Leaders leaving, but all the time, our young players are becoming leaders in their own right. We cannot rely on the older players forever and need some sort of transition.

Currently, we have Harry (u20 captain), Dingwall (u20 captain), Ludlam (England international), Tei, Waller, Ribbans, O Franks, Courtney, Reinach (hopefully), Biggar, Grayson, Mitchell (England international - albeit against Baabaas), Proctor and Collins, who have all gained significant experience either with Saints, at international level or being Captains in their own right.

Also, by that time, there may be a character that makes a major leap forward and very quickly becomes leadership material.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2019 12:50

I've not seen a huge amount of games but Brad Shields has never really stood out for me albeit I'm sure he does offer a lot more off the pitch. However I hadn't actually realised how many of the younger players had been involved in a captaincy capacity with age grades etc.

For me you need at least two real leaders, one up front (largely setting tone through action) and another in the backs, usually 9,10,12, 15 who has more time and space to scan the field etc. Teimana and Ribeye definitely tick that box up front, Haywood too presuming his comeback goes well. In the backs bar Biggar its a little less tried and tested but lots of leadership potential. I also think Boyd is slowly shifting to good decision making across the board from one or two leaders we overly rely on.

Date: 25 October, 2019 13:48

I think I remember comments being made about how well Dingwall lead, even for being a 19 year old. Harrison has also mentioned how, although he captained the side, it was Grayson who took charge of the teams game plan. I daresay, and this may be a little stereotypical, that Mitchell would have a few things to say about how we're playing also.

The Captain doesn't have to be the one to make the tactical decisions, he just needs to be the one to own the decision once he takes on board the advice he receives. The leadership comes from experience. We don't really want many captains on the pitch, just players that have been in the situation before.

Even if some of the old guard left at the end of the season, our youngsters would have gained enough experience to know how to see out a game, having seen out tight games, see victories coughed up at the last minute and been on both sides of knock out games.

We will be fine.

Posted by: SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2019 17:20

Wasn't Ludlam touted as being a good leader too?

Date: 25 October, 2019 20:56

Quote:
SaintsDuncan
Wasn't Ludlam touted as being a good leader too?

quality human who I think captained some England grade games

[www.google.co.uk]

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net