Date: 10 December, 2019 10:17

Officials for Saturday's rematch in Dublin, all from the Welsh RFU;

Referee; Dan Jones

Assistant referees; Adam Jones & Dewi Phillips

TMO; Sean Brickell

Re: Officials for Saturday
Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 12:08

Not absolutely sure but I think this is the ref that did the Clermont v Quins game in round 1. He was excellent in my opinion.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 13:05

He has a pretty good standing within the Welsh game by the looks of it. Being touted as the next Nigel Owens.

I'm not sure if this currently happens but I wonder if the likes of Nigel and Wayne Barnes would consider doing some sort of Referee Consulting for up and coming refs?

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 13:44

You mean they don't??
In all seriousness, for professional refs, using the most experienced refs you've got seems like a logical part of their learning & development.
Or is that far too common sense?

Date: 10 December, 2019 14:03

I know nothing about the Referee pathways but it just seemed sensible, especially with the likes of Barnes & Owens retiring, that their experience could be valuable.
I apologise if this is something that already happens with other former refs, perhaps it would be beneficial to bring in refs from other sports. I'm pretty sure that former football refs do 'training ' and 'guidance' for new Premiership football refs.

Posted by: twsaint (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 14:05

Barnes is not retiring.

Date: 10 December, 2019 14:11

is he retiring from international refereeing?

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 14:19

Referees at the professional level within the RFU meet each other at Twickenham every week during the season to analyse decisions and trends within the game. I'm sure the WRU and other unions operate in a similar fashion.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 14:49

Barnes: [www.planetrugby.com]

Immediately post RWC:
"as it stands, Iím available for international duty and Iím looking forward to getting stuck into the next round of the Gallagher Premiership."

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 15:54

I've seen this guy a couple of times and has been good on each occasion.. certainly better than the other young welsh ref ben Whitehouse, despite being pretty awful every time seems to get more high profile games.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 19:23

Quote:
Walks11
I've seen this guy a couple of times and has been good on each occasion.. certainly better than the other young welsh ref ben Whitehouse, despite being pretty awful every time seems to get more high profile games.

Whitehouse reffed us in Clermont one season when we got walloped. As I remember his arm only ever pointed one way when it came to penalty decisions.

Posted by: Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 21:10

Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Walks11

Whitehouse reffed us in Clermont one season when we got walloped. As I remember his arm only ever pointed one way when it came to penalty decisions.

Ben Whitehouse was dangerously inept in that match. It all got rather feisty and he had pretty much lost control. If I remember correctly he let Parra back on the park when he shouldnít have been there. Canít remember why ☹️

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net