Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Leinster v Saints
Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 23:27

Heard Kpoku pulled out of the deal, either on BT or a podcast ,can’t remember, but it was mentioned !

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 23:31

Shields ?

Posted by: white lion (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 00:04

Looking at the positives, I was impressed with Tupai. He was probably under orders not to try anything fancy but just provide a crisp service to his fly-half. He did this admirably until perhaps fatigue became an issue. Well done!

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 06:04

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Shields ?

Thinking the same, not sure when his contract at Wasps expires.

Posted by: Leinster Lady (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 07:03

I thought you were unlucky not to get the fourth try bonus point towards the end of the match yesterday. That extra point would certainly have helped your chances of qualification for the QFs.

Given that Lyon were beaten by Treviso yesterday, there is every chance that they will now throw in the towel meaning that Saints have a good chance of beating both Lyon and Treviso with bonus points and ending the group stage on 19 points. Your reward for this would be to play Leinster again in the Aviva stadium in a QF.

A small group of Saints fans made it over to the Aviva stadium yesterday and they certainly made themselves heard at certain key stages in the match which was very heart warming.

If you don't make it through to the QFs we wont be meeting again and in this case best of luck in the Premiership.

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 08:36

Quote:
Leinster Lady
I thought you were unlucky not to get the fourth try bonus point towards the end of the match yesterday. That extra point would certainly have helped your chances of qualification for the QFs.
Given that Lyon were beaten by Treviso yesterday, there is every chance that they will now throw in the towel meaning that Saints have a good chance of beating both Lyon and Treviso with bonus points and ending the group stage on 19 points. Your reward for this would be to play Leinster again in the Aviva stadium in a QF.

A small group of Saints fans made it over to the Aviva stadium yesterday and they certainly made themselves heard at certain key stages in the match which was very heart warming.

If you don't make it through to the QFs we wont be meeting again and in this case best of luck in the Premiership.

Thank you for your kind words
It was a sobering experience
Good luck for the rest of the competition

Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 08:55

Quote:
Leinster Lady

Thanks Leinster Lady,

To be honest I am not sure it would be a good thing for us to qualify for the QF's. I do not think we have the resources for it, sadly.

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 09:51

Quote:
Whiston Saint
So it took Lol 71 minutes to reveal that we have half a team out there and an important block of 3 Premiership games coming up.

That is incredibly disrespectfully to the half of the team that you don’t consider are good enough to be called Saints. I am sure all those young men who have dedicated a large part of their lives to be good enough to get professional contracts at a top rugby club love to be told that they are not considered good enough to even count as part of the team.

Date: 15 December, 2019 10:43

He meant half the first team Ajack, come on mate

Leinster Lady thank you.

In what other competitions do teams from the same group play in the QF?

Madness

Posted by: St.Sinner (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 11:08

Quote:
ajack
Quote:
Whiston Saint
So it took Lol 71 minutes to reveal that we have half a team out there and an important block of 3 Premiership games coming up.

That is incredibly disrespectfully to the half of the team that you don’t consider are good enough to be called Saints. I am sure all those young men who have dedicated a large part of their lives to be good enough to get professional
contracts at a top rugby club love to be told that they are not considered good enough to even count as part of the team.

I know, how dare we compare Coles to Lawes. Or Tupai to Reinach. They wouldn’t of made any difference, what does experience and international calibre matter in games like this anyway? Damn ignorant narrow minded disrespectful fans. **

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/12/2019 11:12 by St.Sinner.

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 11:17

Be kind to Ajack. He just misunderstood the post he referred to. Wilfully but there you go.

People here are getting far too hot under the collar over these two losses

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 11:37

Quote:
fair_weather_fan

We are even though most of us expected the outcome. I suppose what is difficult to come to terms with is the confirmation of just how far short Saints are in a competiton of this quality. It is especially hard for those of us of a certain age who readily recall Saints at their peaks being equal to any side in Europe. Add to that the raised expectations caused by a marked improvement in performances at domestic level and we are brought down to earth with a bump. Perhaps the bitterest pill of all to swallow is the realisation that, for reasons all outlined many times, there seems to be absolutely b.....r all we can do about it !

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 12:20

Quote:
Wilson Pickett

Leinster Lady thank you.

Madness

I’ve lost count of the number of times we’ve gone through a European pool and end up going through to the quarters as runners up only to get an away game against our own pool winner. Odds massively stacked against team in that position as they will have invariably already lost against their pool winner if not twice

Date: 15 December, 2019 12:32

Also Dragon, it means if you are put in a group with Clermont or Leinster you are kind of guaranteed to play them in the quarter, funny way to go about things.

Date: 15 December, 2019 12:37

Quote:
tedge
Quote:
fair_weather_fan

We are even though most of us expected the outcome. I suppose what is difficult to come to terms with is the confirmation of just how far short Saints are in a competiton of this quality. It is especially hard for those of us of a certain age who readily recall Saints at their peaks being equal to any side in Europe. Add to that the raised expectations caused by a marked improvement in performances at domestic level and we are brought down to earth with a bump. Perhaps the bitterest pill of all to swallow is the realisation that, for reasons all outlined many times, there seems to be absolutely b.....r all we can do about it !

It is all about perspective, money talks. We have different league structures, different funding and funding rules.

You just have to mentally adjust to the fact that we will only win the Heineken Cup if we have one season where we play out of our skin every single game and get some luck.

You can't buy a Bentley with £5k (unless its knackered!).

Posted by: Statesman (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 12:51

If I’m honest I’d rather not qualify for the QF’s - it will be a distraction to our main priority of top 2 in the Prem and beating Ex in the final next June!

Disappointed by the negativity above regarding yesterday’s performance - what did anyone expect - Saints 2nd XV against an Ireland XV and probably the best team in Europe right now. I thought the Leinster defence was immense - Big T is unplayable in the Prem but was very well managed by Leinster. OK, our error count was high but many of our team were playing at a level that they simply haven’t experienced before.

Thought Tupai did well yesterday. I think we’re well stocked at 9 in the event that Cobus does leave. Also thought the scrum did really well over the 2 games.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 12:55

It is hugely tempting to start complaining about uneven playing fields having just been thumped by Leinster twice in eight days. However, we all know how things are these days and whinging about it amongst ourselves will not change anything. The only English team capable of challenging Leinster are our 'friends' at Allinaz Park and we all know about their recent issues.

Simple fact is that Saints always get turned over badly at home by at least one team every European season since, I believe, 2010-11. Until we win all the pool matches at the Gardens it will always be an uphill task.

If Sarries or Leinster continue to win the European Cup every year because of their 'advantages', the whole competition begins to become devalued rather like Celtic winning the Scottish Premiership or Lewis Hamilton winning in F1 - after a while it becomes a case of 'so what' !

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 13:24

I’m sure money is A big part of the difference
However much you spend doesn’t mean you don’t knock on, tackle high, miss tackles, clear the breakdown, throw lineouts accurately, show aggression , play a structured defensive line ( Leinster cracked is open by playing inside ball - where was our backrow? ) could go on

It is work in progress and the improvements are happening but we still shoot our selves in the foot with basic mistakes
Particular when we play clubs like Leinster
Perhaps it’s all in the mind

Points to prove over the next three games

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 13:28

Quote:
Wilson Pickett

Leinster Lady thank you.

Madness

Same reason that in the Premiership play offs 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd. Being the “best” qualifier gives you the privilege of playing the “worst/ weakest” qualifier. “Rank has it’s privileges” as a senior manager once told me wanting to put me in my place (he didn’t). It would be unfortunate if we did qualify as the last place team and did end up having to play them again. For me it not about playing them again the the QF, I’m just fed up at continually having to play them in Europe, be a change to play say Connacht for once and not because they aren’t so good as Leinster. Just be good to play other teams. We ended up playing against Castres for year on year, that was a bore too for me.

On yesterday we all knew we’d be in with a serious chance of a tonking, we’d debated it all week. Well, no surprise was it? It was great to score 3 tries. 2 tries better than last week! Great experience for some of the younger players. Saving some of the more senior players and giving them rest and a chance to recover a bit. We got nailed, most expected it, I certainly did. We’re still in this. We can beat Benny with a 5 to get 14 and we have a shot at the QF’s. If we beat Benetton and lose to Lyon we’ll probably come 2nd in our group but probably won’t qualify. Actually I hope that this is the case so we can rest up a bit and go for the Premiership. But at the end of it all it wouldn’t surprise me if we do qualify, draw Leinster away and beat them! Then the tune of the Leinster v Saints thread will be different won’t it?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 15/12/2019 13:32 by smitferbrainz.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2019 13:42

I reckon it WOULD surprise you actually !

Current Page: 6 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net