A bit O/T - House of Rugby Podcast
Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 13:36

The one with Ellis Genge

If you listen to podcasts - this one is well worth a listen about post playing care - a view from Ellis Genge (warning: language is a bit fruity!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 13:36 by lilyg.

Re: A bit O/T - House of Rugby Podcast
Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 13:41

+1 Good pod and good recommendation.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 17:32

+1 Very interesting watch. Interesting what Hask had to say about his comparative treatment by Wasps compared to how supportive we have been and also how the younger players who lose their careers at a early stage through injury probably have no insurance because of not being able to afford it, and how insurance companies are not over eager to pay out for concussion related career ending injuries.

40+ years working in insurance and it seems nothing has changed.

Posted by: Former Hollywood Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 18:23

You beat me to it. The House of Rugby pod is one of the better podcasts out there - rugbywise - and that mini rant by Haskell about the welfare of players was very revealing. He has previously said he still goes out weekly for a coffee with Ben Franks and a few of the other lads (he has mentioned Ehren Painter before).

He did mention recently that when he came out of the jungle, the only rugby knew was that "Saints were top of the Premiership, and that is I cared about". When asked about the Salarycens debacle, again he just responded "I didn't care about that. Saints were top, so I'm happy".

That then made me think he felt more a Saint than a Wasp now. He also keeps saying that he wants to be involved with the Saints still. He jokingly said he could be team manager but only for organising things and not the boring stuff.

It really says something about the club, but says a massive amount about Hask as well if I'm honest. He definitely wasn't here for the money.

FHS

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 23:46

I would love Haskell to have a role at Saints.

He's a marmite character, you love him or hate him except if you initially are verging towards hate, I think you'd soon grow to like and respect him.

Mr Darbon, please find him a role. His views on the mental side of the game, his experience, sense of humour and work ethic could be priceless for some of the younger players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 23:48 by Saint Stokey.

Posted by: Merlin-k (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 02:06

Quite a fan of House of Rugby. One of the better “rugby” podcasts. Hask is always fairly positive about the Saints but this takes it another level. Fascinating to listen to. It’s been clear before that he built a strong bond with the team (still on the saints WhatsApp group) but it is really nice to hear the the club do have a sense of commitment to their players.

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 13:07

Good light hearted stuff. I struggled with some of it personally.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 18:35

Interesting to hear Genge - I live in Bristol and know the reputation of Knowle West, where he grew up.
His mum worked at the same place I used to, and I spoke to her a few times when he was called up for England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net