Potential new sanctions for Salary cap problems
Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 18:33

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Some sensible ideas here and I hope they come in albeit a couple of years too late.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Re: Potential new sanctions for Salary cap problems
Posted by: St_Bart (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 18:46

Rapid action needed to back up his very bold and clear words

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 20:36

Problem is that no-one expected industrial scale cheating. The doors are being closed but the horse in long gone, with 2 premierships and 2 Champions cups minimum.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 22:46

No-one is too strong

Posted by: Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 08:52

Lifted from the Sorries board.

Worth listening to.

"An interview with Lord Dyson, Who headed the Sarrie inquiry. It starts at about 29mins 30 secs and he is quite scathing of both Sarries and PRL:

[www.lawinsport.com]"

More to come yet.

Posted by: Santiago (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 09:42

Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Problem is that no-one expected industrial scale cheating. The doors are being closed but the horse in long gone, with 2 premierships and 2 Champions cups minimum.

It's not "industrial scale" cheating, so far as anyone knows this is an issue with one club.

Sadly the penalty was not relegation or the equivalent and the complications arising are likely to go on interminably (rather like brexit!) when it would have been better to have had a penalty that enabled a clean start.

Posted by: Siggy89 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 11:48

It was certainly industrial scale cheating by Saracens.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 11:51

Warranting 7 x 5 point match wins. Hardly an industrial scale punishment. They’ve wiped a load of it out already and we’re only just over one third of the way through the Premiership. Scandalous.

Posted by: jimmies (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 12:23

This should have been a relegation type of punishment ( directly or indirectly by a larger points deficit ) ....so lets say we get to the last games/weeks of the season, would you be in favour of us letting Tigers beat us if it meant that the 'right' club goes down...or would you have any issues if other clubs did what was needed for that to happen?

It's a tough one and I'm not sure how i would answer but I know what my heart would say - I'd rather Tigers stay up than Sarries

Date: 11 January, 2020 12:55

Look, a 70 point deduction is only 14 x 5 point wins. Over 3 seasons that’s just over 3 x 5 point wins per season that they’d have been deducted. The 35 point deduction is pathetic and spineless.

Date: 11 January, 2020 13:06

Quote:
smitferbrainz
Look, a 70 point deduction is only 14 x 5 point wins. Over 3 seasons that’s just over 3 x 5 point wins per season that they’d have been deducted. The 35 point deduction is pathetic and spineless.

According to what we have been told its the maximum possible. As I said cheating on this scale wasnt foreseen which is why there are no adequate punishments in place

Posted by: northampton_lad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 13:43

Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
smitferbrainz

According to what we have been told its the maximum possible. As I said cheating on this scale wasnt foreseen which is why there are no adequate punishments in place

I can’t agree with this view. The Saracens scandal is very similar to the Melbourne Storm scandal of 2010 - it is extremely naive of Premiership Rugby not to implement rules for a similar scandal in our competition

Posted by: Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 13:52

Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
smitferbrainz

FWF in another thread it is mentioned that penalty could have been 70 points , but for some inexplicable reason those involved only imposed a 35 point deduction. I am hopeful that Lord Dyson’s public statement about the inexplicable secrecy will result in full disclosure of the hearing before too much more damage is done to the games image.

Get it out there ,
Kill the speculation,
Get clarity on Sorries current position re SC compliance,
Apply sanctions if warranted,
Amend rules
Implement proper scrutiny

Only then can the game start to move on.

IMHO

Date: 11 January, 2020 14:07

It was said in a press article that a 70 point deduction was possible, if I remember correctly. Nothing from PRL on that, so far. We go round in circles on this stuff, basically we are all in agreement but we still dont have the full facts

Date: 11 January, 2020 14:44

Quote:
northampton_lad
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
smitferbrainz

I can’t agree with this view. The Saracens scandal is very similar to the Melbourne Storm scandal of 2010 - it is extremely naive of Premiership Rugby not to implement rules for a similar scandal in our competition

Possibly similar to what happened to Rangers FC a few years ago too. They got relegated all the way down to the bottom division of the ScottIsh League and had to fight their way back to the Premiership. Look at this sanction for long enough and you’ll see how lenient it actually is. They got lucky!

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net