Current Page: 1 of 2
Rumours and more rumours
Posted by: Former Hollywood Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 18:34

I was going to add this to a post lower down but Rugbypass are now reporting that George Kruis will leave Salarycens for either Japan or Saints. Not sure if fits in with what Boyd wants for the Saints if I'm honest. Especially if we are still nosing around Kpoku.

The more interesting one is that both Flats and Shanks and the Rugby Pod both mentioned in passing that Alex Dombrandt will be leaving Quins for Saints. This on the other hand does certainly tick what Boyd is looking for. If it is true then he will be a massive addition to the back row. He is still a little way down the pecking order for England so we could get a lot out of him.

FHS

Re: Rumours and more rumours
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 18:39

Didn't Dombrandt recently sign a new contract ?

Would we want an expensive England international in Kruis ?

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 18:53

Rugby Paper said Quins won the race on Dombrandt. Probably over paying to keep a future captain, which is fair enough.

Iím very relaxed if agents are using Saints to bid up our opponents. Keep using up their cap money!

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 19:38

Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint
I was going to add this to a post lower down but Rugbypass are now reporting that George Kruis will leave Salarycens for either Japan or Saints. Not sure if fits in with what Boyd wants for the Saints if I'm honest. Especially if we are still nosing around Kpoku.
The more interesting one is that both Flats and Shanks and the Rugby Pod both mentioned in passing that Alex Dombrandt will be leaving Quins for Saints. This on the other hand does certainly tick what Boyd is looking for. If it is true then he will be a massive addition to the back row. He is still a little way down the pecking order for England so we could get a lot out of him.

FHS

I saw in some article or another that Sarries had decided that in the interest of the cap reduction Kpoku stays as he would be there cheaper option rather than keep Kruis. one established and one a very good prospect. I guess you are trying ti balance the books that approach makes sense

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 19:44

I was very impressed with Dombrandt last season. Just the type of player that would fit Saints style. He is also just the type of player that Quins need, particularly after their stuttering start to the season.

Date: 10 January, 2020 19:57

Dombrandt's future was raised again during the pre-match chat at Bath this evening and Flats back pedalled a bit more or less conceding that Dombrandt would remain at Quins

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 20:44

Quote:
tedge
Dombrandt's future was raised again during the pre-match chat at Bath this evening and Flats back pedalled a bit more or less conceding that Dombrandt would remain at Quins

Yet he seems to have been sent to Coventry recently?

Date: 10 January, 2020 21:03

Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
tedge

He's demonstrating his worth against Bath, just scored their 3rd try and they lead Bath 22-14

Date: 10 January, 2020 21:39

Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
tedge

He's demonstrating his worth against Bath, just scored their 3rd try and they lead Bath 22-14

But was he being saved for tonight and for what was part of wholesale Quinn's changes for a dead rubber game.

Iím sure Iíve read on here that we were after him but that he had then resigned at Quinnís. So whilst he would fit our needs at 8 Iím thinking maybe. Just maybe Boydy May have an Ace up his sleeve here.

Kpouku had signed for us but then seemingly he hadnít and was staying put but no positive confirmations either way so Iím thinking that if Kruis is leaving at year end then maybe Kpoku resigning on the promise of a block of flats and country estate and more game time his staying put has some weight and probably Agent fuelled.

Kruis in Japan with England and loving it and taking a contract over there while he was high profile. That has a high degree of credibility about it to me because from what Iíve read and seen I think all our guys had the time of their lives over there during the World Cup and itís understandable that maybe one or two want more. Japan has far more going for it I think than the East Midlands and besides. We would be without him for too much of the year. Itís ok for someone from the club to play international rugby but is it best practice to bring someone in knowing how much of our year he would miss? Biggs excepted of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 21:48 by Dragonboy.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2020 23:13

I thought the rumours of Dombrandt re-signing were just rumours, nothing confirmed. As I mentioned previously, RugbyInsideLine is of the belief that Kpoku is still on and him stating that he plans to stay at Sarries is just him saying the right thing at the moment.

If the both happen Kpoku and Dombrandt would be enough unless we need to replace anyone leaving.

Posted by: Waggydog (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 00:10

There's nothing official anywhere about Dombrandt signing a new contract at Quins.

I imagine they will (and should) fight tooth and nail to keep him but I'd be thrilled to see him join us.

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 07:28

Arenít you guys also after Carl Fearns? Heís been superb in France and would be one of the best ball carriers in the Prem.

I can understand why you would pick Kpoku over Kruis (who knows you might get both!).. but Kruis could be a similar signing to Parling for us (but with more left in the tank!) - experienced England international, leader, lineout ace etc.

Make a few of these signings and I can see you topping the table next season (thatís if it doesnít happen this season!!)

Date: 11 January, 2020 07:41

Thank you for your kind comments. I think your predictions are accurate.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 10:20

Where do we need to recruit most and how much do they cost?

Personally I'm less bothered with 2nd row where we have Courtney, Ribbans, Moon and Coles who are all quality.† Api will be 34 in August but playing well so justifying a year's extension. Plus we have Bean.

8 we only really have Teimana.† Eadie won't be here next season given how few games he gets. Uru also isn't near the first team.

Loosehead we have Waller and Van Wyk. Both are solid but not dominant scrummagers. Franks will be 36 in March so likely to retire. Trinder isn't near the first team.

So Dombrandt and the young Fijian loosehead we were linked with over Kpoku and Kruis for me in terms of who will help us the most. If our budget can stretch to 3 without losing good current players then Kpoku over Kruis for me.

Looking at VFM Kruis is being courted by Japan so it would take top dollar to get him. Given our 2nd row quality and depth I don't see it as a position where we fork out top dollar, as good as Kruis and Kpoku are.

I hope Fearns isn't true as his fitness is simply not good enough so he would be a poor fit for Boyd's style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 10:41 by Saint Maul.

Date: 11 January, 2020 10:58

agree with all of that Maul

Posted by: white lion (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 11:07

I suspect that Fearns is fit but at over 19 stones is never going to be the most mobile of players. I have to say that I think he is a fine player, but being the wrong side of 30 he would be no more than a short-term signing.

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 11:46

It was in the Season ticket forum I think, that I watched on youtube, Boydy said that they have a several year plan and know exactly what they require player wise for those years. Could be a re signing initially but then look for "outside" players.

So I am not sure that because a player happens to come up that we would be in the market for them?
That is my speculation is that Cobus has already agreed a move away and hence Mr Talyor was given an extension?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: rugbymel (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 11:58

Iím sure there is a plan but life happens. Dylan and Heinz retiring early will have an impact and perhaps the Sarries situation if players leave there unexpectedly.

Date: 11 January, 2020 12:08

Quote:
Chris Hoddle
It was in the Season ticket forum I think, that I watched on youtube, Boydy said that they have a several year plan and know exactly what they require player wise for those years. Could be a re signing initially but then look for "outside" players.
So I am not sure that because a player happens to come up that we would be in the market for them?
That is my speculation is that Cobus has already agreed a move away and hence Mr Talyor was given an extension?

I think Henry was offered an extension with him being out of contract in June to tie him up before other clubs come sniffing and I think Cobusís situation wasnít necessarily a factor.

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 12:38

Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
Chris Hoddle

I think Henry was offered an extension with him being out of contract in June to tie him up before other clubs come sniffing and I think Cobusís situation wasnít necessarily a factor.

I would hope that any plan they have would offer a degree of flexibility to accommodate a discussion about a quality individual that may become available. similarly young players who have possibly been earmarked for a long future t the Saints may fall by the wayside for whatever reason and therefore creates a gap that needs to be filled. As Mel said injuries also throw a spanner in the works too

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net