Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Accuracy
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:49

Honesty and raising the bar is what top teams do. If you want to improve it is what you need to do all the time. I just struggle why so many cannot understand that and constantly want to knock those who do?

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: Saint For Life (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 12:38

Quote:
ajack
Honesty and raising the bar is what top teams do. If you want to improve it is what you need to do all the time. I just struggle why so many cannot understand that and constantly want to knock those who do?

You sound like a lawyer - and not a particularly good one . Your starting point in this thread was at one ridiculous end of the spectrum and now you have switched to ďraising the bar is what top teams do ď - not sure anyone does not understand this later point or is arguing against it . Just seems to me you like to put finger to keyboard , come up with an extreme statement and see what reaction you get . At least it makes me laugh .

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 13:03

Quote:
ajack
Honesty and raising the bar is what top teams do. If you want to improve it is what you need to do all the time. I just struggle why so many cannot understand that and constantly want to knock those who do?


Iím a little confused to be honest. One minute we canít compete with the best and the next we are a top team


Just for clarity, do you think Exeter (IMHO are main rivals for the Prem) will beat us easily both in the upcoming match and in the final?

So I understand where youíre coming from.....

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 14:14

Firstly if you want to be a top team you have to do what top teams do, so Boyd's comments are a step in the right direction IMO. His comment 'Anyone with any respect for the game would be horrified by that performance. I don't need to say anything to the players, they've been apologising to each other. I don't think we showed respect to the game or the opposition. " sums it up perfectly for me, but I am not surprised at some of the normal suspects defending the performance.

I do think Exeter will beat us comfortably in February, assuming they don't have a major injury crisis. In the final, assuming we both make it which I do think is possible I am less sure. I believe they are good enough to get to the final of the European cup however if they do it will mean playing three must win matches against teams of the quality of say Sarries, Clermont and Leinster as well as back to back wins against say Glaws and us.

I actually think that is a big ask for any club in England who operate within the budget so depending on what they put most effort into we could beat them in the final. If everything clicks on our day we could beat them if they have a loaded set of games. I just don't think we have enough fundamentals In place to do it on a regular basis.

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 14:34

Quote:
ajack
Firstly if you want to be a top team you have to do what top teams do, so Boyd's comments are a step in the right direction IMO. His comment 'Anyone with any respect for the game would be horrified by that performance. I don't need to say anything to the players, they've been apologising to each other. I don't think we showed respect to the game or the opposition. " sums it up perfectly for me, but I am not surprised at some of the normal suspects defending the performance.
I do think Exeter will beat us comfortably in February, assuming they don't have a major injury crisis. In the final, assuming we both make it which I do think is possible I am less sure. I believe they are good enough to get to the final of the European cup however if they do it will mean playing three must win matches against teams of the quality of say Sarries, Clermont and Leinster as well as back to back wins against say Glaws and us.

I actually think that is a big ask for any club in England who operate within the budget so depending on what they put most effort into we could beat them in the final. If everything clicks on our day we could beat them if they have a loaded set of games. I just don't think we have enough fundamentals In place to do it on a regular basis.

May be not yet but weíre getting there fast and eventually we will. Exeter are dangerous all of the time, they are brilliant at what they do. I think the ECC is between them, Leinster, Toulouse and I hate to say this, Sarries. Itís only the 35 points thatís making this Premiership season any different to the last few. But weíre getting up there and are no longer playing a horrible brand of rugby. Personally, I think several of those teams I mentioned arenít playing a brand of rugby I particularly like to watch. I watch to be entertained and to see Saints so I feel quite lucky right now. I remember Ferguson throwing boots around the dressing room (Sir Alex, not our Matt). Chris Boyd should be calling the team out if they are poor. Nothing he said disrespected Benetton for me. If our squad felt he gave them a verbal kick up the pants, well good because I think most of the squad would agree with him. Onto Lyon, that might not be pretty either so get ready.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 14:37 by smitferbrainz.

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 14:53

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Just for clarity, do you think Exeter (IMHO are main rivals for the Prem) will beat us easily both in the upcoming match and in the final?

At the moment? Yes!

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 15:55

Whether Boydie was wise (as opposed to honest) to sound off as he did just after the game ended when emotions are still running high, is debateable but if the result is that the players will feel that they let him down then they will probably not want to repeat that experience for his sake

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 18:23

Quote:
ajack
Firstly if you want to be a top team you have to do what top teams do, so Boyd's comments are a step in the right direction IMO. His comment 'Anyone with any respect for the game would be horrified by that performance. I don't need to say anything to the players, they've been apologising to each other. I don't think we showed respect to the game or the opposition. " sums it up perfectly for me, but I am not surprised at some of the normal suspects defending the performance.
I do think Exeter will beat us comfortably in February, assuming they don't have a major injury crisis. In the final, assuming we both make it which I do think is possible I am less sure. I believe they are good enough to get to the final of the European cup however if they do it will mean playing three must win matches against teams of the quality of say Sarries, Clermont and Leinster as well as back to back wins against say Glaws and us.

I actually think that is a big ask for any club in England who operate within the budget so depending on what they put most effort into we could beat them in the final. If everything clicks on our day we could beat them if they have a loaded set of games. I just don't think we have enough fundamentals In place to do it on a regular basis.


Fair enough, depends on the draw. I think they lose away to Leinster, Racing, Toulouse or Clermont. At home lose to Leinster but French travelling etc they have a good chance.

Re: Accuracy
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 18:34

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Quote:
ajack
Firstly if you want to be a top team you have to do what top teams do, so Boyd's comments are a step in the right direction IMO. His comment 'Anyone with any respect for the game would be horrified by that performance. I don't need to say anything to the players, they've been apologising to each other. I don't think we showed respect to the game or the opposition. " sums it up perfectly for me, but I am not surprised at some of the normal suspects defending the performance.
I do think Exeter will beat us comfortably in February, assuming they don't have a major injury crisis. In the final, assuming we both make it which I do think is possible I am less sure. I believe they are good enough to get to the final of the European cup however if they do it will mean playing three must win matches against teams of the quality of say Sarries, Clermont and Leinster as well as back to back wins against say Glaws and us.

I actually think that is a big ask for any club in England who operate within the budget so depending on what they put most effort into we could beat them in the final. If everything clicks on our day we could beat them if they have a loaded set of games. I just don't think we have enough fundamentals In place to do it on a regular basis.


Fair enough, depends on the draw. I think they lose away to Leinster, Racing, Toulouse or Clermont. At home lose to Leinster but French travelling etc they have a good chance.

I agree not saying they will get to the final of the European cup just they could, that will depend on the draw and when you get to that level each game can be won or lost on the smallest margin. They may well face Sarries in the quarter final, my guess is they would sooner have any other of the options.

If they do get knocked out in the quarters and then just focus on the domestic competition I do not see us getting close to them assuming we make the final and they don't have a major injury crisis.

Current Page: 4 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net