Current Page: 1 of 3
The Franks Brothers
Posted by: SaintSurrey (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 19:45

On a day when we were awful, I thought the Franks Brothers made a huge impact.

For those guys to be playing together again in top flight rugby must be pretty special. I also thought our scrum looked immense in the last 15 mins.

Re: The Franks Brothers
Posted by: ch saint (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 20:02

They look incredibly hard and tough, exuding confidence.
We are fortunate to have the privilege of watching them.

Posted by: Saintalex (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 20:07

We have 3 top flight LH and 3 top flight TH at the club now

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 20:40

[quote Saintalex]We have 3 top flight LH and 3 top flight TH at the club now[/quote

Totally agree and I posted as much earlier in the week somewhere on here.

Apart from the interception I thought Francois had a stormer and throwing a dummy to score a try. Props all over the world will be calling for his banishment to play with the girls outside and no doubt there will be questions asked at the next scrum down of the front row union.

Date: 12 January, 2020 20:43

Credit to Fergs on him. He was our worst LH 18 months ago, I would now say he is our best

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 21:28

Yes a special moment playing together but letís see how they look against serious opposition.

Owen was keen to prove himself as a scrummager in the northern hemisphere letís see where he is when he has settled in. It wasnít so long ago since he came on and gave two scrum penalties away against Sale.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 22:33

He was playing with a broken thumb I think, not ideal

Posted by: fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 08:35

Quote:
Saintalex
Credit to Fergs on him. He was our worst LH 18 months ago, I would now say he is our best

Commentators curse! He gave 2 pens at the w/e lol

Posted by: pksaint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 09:34

Would have been nice for Dylan to have kept going just that bit longer and seen him flanked by the Frank's brothers.

Posted by: charlieemeriau (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 10:47

Nice to see the two of them getting on the park together at the same time.
For me however the biggest impact was Cobus coming on, I always thought we would be fine if he left for Montpellier.
But I think he is different class, his pace and what he offers in general is incredible.

25 Minutes
2 Turnovers won
2 Carries
3 Defenders beaten
1 Clean break
34 Running metres
3 Try Assists

from twitter Jared Wright
[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2020 11:33 by charlieemeriau.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 11:23

Agree about Cobus. I like Taylor but he's not as good as Reinach

Posted by: Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 11:48

I agree about the props and am pleased that Paul Hill is looking to be back to near his best (still only 24 and pretty young for a prop). Thought the scrum looked strong throughout .

Date: 13 January, 2020 11:51

Cobus looks good against a knackered Treviso at home

That isn't really the bar, that is flat track bullying! In the big games he won't get that space, and in those sorts of games I think Mitchell is and will be a better 9 over the next 3 years.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 12:26

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Cobus looks good against a knackered Treviso at home

That isn't really the bar, that is flat track bullying! In the big games he won't get that space, and in those sorts of games I think Mitchell is and will be a better 9 over the next 3 years.

Agreed... I think to me Mitchell, is your Furbanks, but I am a 9 LOL

the 2 most talented youngsters in the squad..... I am interested to see how Harry comes back, as he did ooze class and attacking threat in a poor team when he came back from illness and before he got injured

Posted by: Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 12:30

Fresh half-backs often look good coming on at 60 minutes against a tired pack. Cobus has the magic ingredient, pace, for which there is no substitute.

Last season Cobus was outstanding as a starting 9 and caused mayhem for the opposition. Alex often came on and carried on that degree of destruction. If he gets back to full fitness there is little to choose between them and whichever one starts the other will look fantastic coming off the bench. The difference for me is that Alex is the future.

Taylor is definitely number 3 for me in the squad but that puts us in a great position as he would be at least number 2 for most premiership sides, possibly a starter. If Cobus does leave we will be well served by Mitchell, Taylor and mini-Toops.

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 12:35

WP I agree that a 'scrum half' coming off the bench is the easiest position to look good in. However, I did wonder how long it would be before your knife was out for Cobus ...

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 12:54

Anyone coming off the bench should shine as they are fresh. Props are the possible exception as pretty much every match both teams use them tactically. Even then if one team are down to third or fourth choice or one prop has been replaced early it is much easier to shine.

Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 13:29

It does also help having watched the opposition for 50 odd minutes to see how they're defending, where holes are appearing etc, particularly when you've got Cobus' pace. I definitely like his competitive spirit, helps rolling him plus 150+ AB caps off the bench purely from that point of view!

Pretty sure Boyd has a plan along the lines of continuing with a few experienced campaigners in the squad (potentially Shields fits this mould) comprised mainly of youngsters to ensure that the leadership is there and a professional overall tone is set.

On the subject of Dyls - any chance he can just hobble round on one knee and just throw the lineouts please? Seems to be an issue with all three hookers so maybe more to do with calling but it's been my main concern for the last few games. Scrum now seems to be solid on our ball and gaining some offensive power but we're losing valuable attacking platforms by not securing lineout ball.

Date: 13 January, 2020 13:34

Quote:
Awaywin
WP I agree that a 'scrum half' coming off the bench is the easiest position to look good in. However, I did wonder how long it would be before your knife was out for Cobus ...

Knife? I love Cobus.

I support all of our guys and he has been amazing for us. His game is based around pace and turning 30 in Feb I can't see him staying at the current screaming speed for 3 years, which would be the length of a new contract (based on other players with similar attributes, Danny Care slowed from 32 etc). I would love him to go to France and earn enough to set himself up for quite a while.

When we are losing £2m per year and with a salary cap, ruthless and precise decisions need to be made on the squad.

Which part of that don't you agree with and which part suggests I have some vindictive agenda against Cobus?

Date: 13 January, 2020 13:39

Tom I agree 100%, he can go with our love and thanks. A Mitchell is as quick I believe and we have 2 very good reserves in Taylor and Young Toops. Let him to go to France as he will get slower as age catches up with him.
Use that money and the Hartley and Brusow money to get an 8, I feel we are only really an 8 short now

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net