Current Page: 1 of 2
The Thomas Cook affair
Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 12:09

AS others have, this morning received an email informing me that the refund for the Thomas Cook trips to Treviso and Lyon had failed.

Having made appropriate phone calls Caa are saying it doesn't come under the ATol certificate, and to get in touch with ABTA.
They of course are firmly of the belief that it comes under the CAA.

Personally I have contacted the credit card company who were more than helpful and apparently the email received today about no refund is an important part. they are now hopeful of making a refund at some time.

I do think this is very poor from the Caa and Abta who after all have received some money for their services.

I have also informed the club who knew nothing about this until today.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Re: The Thomas Cook affair
Posted by: LJC (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 12:24

Chris, I paid an extra five pounds per booking to have it ATOL protected and I have a certificate for both. I was asked for these recently. So far they haven't told me that I'm not covered - although I haven't seen any refund yet either!

Date: 13 January, 2020 12:41

LJC
I have these and made the claim back in October even making a note of the claim ref.
I know of at least 5 that have had the "claim failed" email this morning.
Hopefully the Credit card will come up trumps.
The people at Caa simply said that the trip with the Thomas Cook Sports didn't cover it.

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 13:09

It's always worth paying for trips by credit card as you have the protection that they will refund you.

I normally drive to away matches in France as it's easier for me with my wheelchair. I've been talked into travelling to Lyon by train as my son can't get an extra day off work. Having read the news of strike action in France we could end up stuck in Paris.

Posted by: Saintalex (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 13:19

I also was told this morning that no refund will come. Itís makes a whole mockery of the whole thing. Club also knew nothing about it. I didnít pay you Credit Card I paid by my debit card so Iím pretty screwed now to be honest

Date: 13 January, 2020 13:23

Saintalex
Abta told me they are convinced it is Caa to pay. There are various ways to complain on the Caa site;
[www.caa.co.uk]

Maybe worth making another phone call and telling you are going to go through this route and then the ombudsman

I shall be doing this if the credit card cant do anything.

Date: 13 January, 2020 13:28

Thank you Chris as always. Iíll be doing just that

Posted by: rugbymel (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 13:38

Quote:
Saintalex
I also was told this morning that no refund will come. Itís makes a whole mockery of the whole thing. Club also knew nothing about it. I didnít pay you Credit Card I paid by my debit card so Iím pretty screwed now to be honest

Last year I booked a holiday with Superbreak which went into liquidation. I had booked using a debit card so I approached my bank (Nationwide) and with their help I received a full refund through a Visa Debit protection scheme. Try your bank.

Date: 13 January, 2020 13:40

I went to them first, they said to go down the usual avenues, I think itís a case of passing the buck

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 16:56

I am dealing with the CAA on an unrelated matter - absolute shambles !

Posted by: Dave Jackson (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 17:54

Whilst it is not the clubs job to repay fans I do feel for people who have booked on something the club has advertised. Maybe some of the Sarries fine money we are getting could help repay the fans.

Posted by: WEST1E (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 17:57

If you paid by credit card, then the credit card company is legally bound to refund you. Full stop, irrespective of a claim against TC or the CAA. With a debit card the claim via your bank is based on VISA or MasterCard Regulations. One of which is a claim based on non provision of a service by the supplier. E.g Thomas Cook.

Posted by: saint Andrews (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 21:01

Raise a visa dispute with your card issuer (credit of debit card)
Say it's for goods or services not received.
Don't let them fob you off.
You'll be sent a disclaimer, which you will need to sign and state that although youve contacted , this has not been resolved .
Post it back and you'll be credited shortly afterwards
It may take a short.while due to the back logsbut you will get reimbursed.

Posted by: MK Al (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 21:01

Like others, I haven't had any refund, despite emails and an official complaint to the CAA - no response received. Then I had an email last week asking me to claim again, with a new reference number, to a different company, CEGA Group, a "Claims Handling Partner."

I paid by credit card, and have an ATOL certificate, and like LJC I paid £5 for this cover, so I guess another wait is on the cards.

What a joke.

Posted by: Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 21:10

If you paid for, what is in effect, an insurance policy and they then don't pay out then I would also suggest talking to Trading Standards as surely they accepted your premium and therefore the risk.

Posted by: Flook (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 21:14

Westie has said it all, I paid via credit card and when TC went T*ts up got in touch with credit card company, supplied supporting docs and refund received, sorted. Now we get the moaners who seem to think that because the club went with TC originally it is NTRFC's fault TC went bust and seemingly suggest recompense should come from the club! Good Grief get a life. A lesson to be learned is that nothing is impossible and if you have the desire to follow the Saints around Europe then book it yourself ( by credit card) and don't moan if you get it wrong.

Posted by: MK Al (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 21:19

Just another thought on this. If your refund is refused, it might be worthwhile contacting a national newspaper, many of whom have someone who will take up claims on their readers' behalf. I know that the Telegraph and the Times do this, and seem to have some success.

I'm sure that they'd see the CAA's failures as a good story.

Posted by: JohnI (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 22:54

You may find this helpful

[www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk]

Posted by: Dave Jackson (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2020 23:13

Quote:
Flook
Westie has said it all, I paid via credit card and when TC went T*ts up got in touch with credit card company, supplied supporting docs and refund received, sorted. Now we get the moaners who seem to think that because the club went with TC originally it is NTRFC's fault TC went bust and seemingly suggest recompense should come from the club! Good Grief get a life. A lesson to be learned is that nothing is impossible and if you have the desire to follow the Saints around Europe then book it yourself ( by credit card) and don't moan if you get it wrong.

Firstly Iím glad you got your refund. Secondly i always make my own arrangements so a not affected by this. Thirdly I only stated it would be a great gesture by the club to help out supporters who are at a loss by this and maybe canít afford or are not confident enough to take further action

Date: 14 January, 2020 11:43

Interesting development in that a second email has now been received from the CAA claims department requiring additional information for the claim to proceed.
Not sure that they know what they are doing at all.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net