Current Page: 1 of 4
Cobus gone at the end of season
Posted by: Coltnet (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 09:58

Re: Cobus gone at the end of season
Posted by: NottsSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:07

I know a lot of people have expressed they are comfortable loosing Cobus, as we have good up an coming cover.

I am not, its a real shame, but if he's made the decision its best for him, then so be it, good luck to him in the future.
He has real game changing quality, and stardust that (as yet) our other options do not.
His powerful, fast and last season i think he was our leading try scorer (I might be corrected on that)

To me he's significantly our best 9 option at the moment. That's not saying Taylor and Mitchel arn't good, they are, but just not as good IMO

So, its time for Taylor to really show he can step up (and Alex when returned).

Posted by: lost in duston (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:08

Whilst it would have been great to have him stay, I think Mitch jnr will fill his role very well. And with his brother and Henry improving, weíve got good cover.

I wish him well on his next adventure in France.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:08

World's worst kept secret but still a pity to lose an inspirational player. At least we will hopefully see him turning on those after burners for a few more months !

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:09

Take the money, well deserved

Posted by: Tarnelo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:15

I agree that both Mitchell (A) and Taylor are perfectly adequate Premiership quality scrum halves, so its not a crisis. Cobus is a star though and I think we will really miss him - last match was a perfect example.

Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:18

It's been a pleasure to watch him play but lets face it, with every year his pace is going to diminish a little at a time.

He has been fantastic for us and a real crowd pleaser but we have young cover that will stand us is good stead for years to come. Whilst they may not have the lightning pace, they have a different and potentially equally strong skill set.

Thanks Cobus, but the job's not done yet!

Posted by: Abington Adam (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:26

He's one of those players who can justify the price of admission all by himself, so it's a huge shame to be losing him but our options at 9 are very good and it may not be the worst thing in the world to use Cobus's salary in another position.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:27

Yes great player and will be sad to see him go. Having said that good luck to him.
(Sm128)

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:30

Not overly fussed, good luck to him he has been fantastic for the most part of his Saints career. I do remember an awful lot on here questioning why we let Groom go and kept Cobus, was it more luck than judgement who knows but his game went from strength to strength afterwards. Itís unfortunate young Mitchell had such a serious injury as I think he could well have been our number 1 by now. We have a half a season to enjoy Cobus and hopefully that will give Taylor and Mitchell enough time to be 2 real stars come next season. Itís a short career and am sure we could nowhere near compete with the money on offer so canít really blame him

Posted by: Nickd57 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:38

Has it been confirmed where he is going? Is it Montpellier?

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:39

Echoes of Jim Mallinder saying we will not miss Chris Ashton we have plenty who can fill his position

Corbus has been the difference between winning and losing on numerous occasions
He changed the game against Benetton

Hopefully we will be looking to recruit and not Ben Youngs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 10:40 by Deesaint.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:40

Quote:
Walks11
Not overly fussed, good luck to him he has been fantastic for the most part of his Saints career. I do remember an awful lot on here questioning why we let Groom go and kept Cobus, was it more luck than judgement who knows but his game went from strength to strength afterwards. Itís unfortunate young Mitchell had such a serious injury as I think he could well have been our number 1 by now. We have a half a season to enjoy Cobus and hopefully that will give Taylor and Mitchell enough time to be 2 real stars come next season. Itís a short career and am sure we could nowhere near compete with the money on offer so canít really blame him

Walks I was one of those that questioned why we let Groom go and not Cobus and suggested it was down to whose contract was up... and going on what we saw of Cobus based on that season, I still stand by what I said.... just grateful we didn't let him go, what a totally different player he was for us after!

I also feel if Alex had remained fit, we would have had 2 top notch 9s fighting it out and I think (hope) Alex will become a better 9 going forward.

Go take the money and a new challenge Cobus, its been an absolute pleasure, thank you!!!

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 10:57

I shall be sorry to see him go. I have very much enjoyed his play. Good luck in the future.

But as with any new chapter, we don't know what it brings, and Alex Mitchell showed us last year that he was a very capable young man that many were already calling to Eddie Jones' attention.

Alex and Henry will give us a different approach. But it will still be within the framework laid down by the coaches.

Who knows? Perhaps he has peaked this season??

I'm not worried.

Posted by: Tarnelo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:07

Why do so many call him Corbus?

Posted by: SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:12

Quote:
Tarnelo
Why do so many call him Corbus?

A South African friend of mine reliably informs me that is how they pronounce it.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:15

A shame but when you recruit overseas players there is always the probability that they will be looking for the next deal - lets hope he stays fit until the end of the season and takes a new medal with his family to France. Good luck to the fella

Posted by: Saint (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:21

A real shame heís been brilliant for us.

Reading between the lines it looks like the club wanted to keep him for another year or so. I think we will loose something with him gone but as others said a great opportunity for the younger players

Thank you Cobus and good luck

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:28

Thanks Cobus. Fabulous player for us. Canít blame him at all for wanting to move on. Every year players come and players leave. Alex Mitchell will step up for us and Henry has been a revelation for us. Every confidence going forward.

Posted by: 195Rich (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2020 11:30

In his first season his kicking and game management was a liability at times but in the last two seasons he has been the best SH in the premiership, he has won several games with brilliant anticipation, blistering pace and last ditch tackles. Saints will be poorer, on the pitch, for his departure if rather better off in the coffers. Will there be a fee involved or is he a free agent?

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net