Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Cobus gone at the end of season
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 10:15

Once fit, I think Mitchell has the perfect sniping game to create breaks. He may not have the searing pace that Cobus does, but a number of Cobus' tries come from other players making the break and Cobus is running just off the shoulder waiting for the pass once the last defender is drawn in. This is what we need to replicate. With players like TC and Sleights, we have very quick players, its just getting them into the right position that is more difficult.

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 10:54

Quote:
Saint Maul
We commonly lose foreign players who come to Saints where we improve their market value. But how many of them have gone on to be as successful in France as they were at Saints? Tiny, Mooj, Ma'afu, Manoa?

Playing devil's advocate what has success Cobus achieved here. A Premiership Cup?

If Montpellier is the destination I wonder how attractive the chance of playing with Pollard is. Would a move to France help his international aspirations?

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 11:03

these guys are mercenaries, which is absolutely the right thing to do. It is all about the money at this stage of his career. Of course it is more fun if you are playing in a decent side.

Cobus also can't help that he played in a side that was in a 'recovery' situation after the last management team.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 11:35

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
these guys are mercenaries, which is absolutely the right thing to do. It is all about the money at this stage of his career. Of course it is more fun if you are playing in a decent side.

Cobus also can't help that he played in a side that was in a 'recovery' situation after the last management team.

+1

Posted by: NobbyClarke (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 13:35

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
No itís just a different language with different pronunciation of letters
It isnít really ďCorbusĒ but thatís the easiest way for English speakers to get away with it

Or Cowbus if he were an Aussie?

Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 17:13

Quote:
Wrench
Best of luck to him. Been wonderful to watch over the last few years and really made us a better side.
I tend to agree that we don't need to replace him at 9 as we are well stocked there. What we do need to replace is his ability to make a break and his out and out pace. Should be in the market for a real speedster and / or a dynamic ball carrier than can bust holes in brick walls.

We as a team need to be making regular line breaks for our attacking game to function - Cobus has been good for 3 a game (or without looking at the stats that's what it feels like) so that's what needs to be replaced.

Just under two, apparently!

[twitter.com]

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 18:26

I think those figures highlight just how much we will miss him.

Posted by: St Marcus (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 18:58

Quote:
ajack

Agreed. I think we will miss him more than most people seem to think. I really rate Mitch and Taylor has been decent so far but we are losing a world class player in Cobus.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2020 22:02

Quote:
St Marcus
Quote:
ajack

Agreed. I think we will miss him more than most people seem to think. I really rate Mitch and Taylor has been decent so far but we are losing a world class player in Cobus.

Will we miss him? Yes. He is a game changer.

But it doesn't feel the same as when we lost Manoa or Picamoles with no quality replacement. Mitchell is a quality player.

I'd prefer to keep Cobus and Mitchell but of the two I'd prefer to lose Cobus as Mitchell is a player we can build a team around for the next 10 years.

English players are more likely to stay at a club than foreign mercenaries. Piutau, Le Roux, Beale, Toomua, Pieterson all brought game changing ability fleetingly. But moved on predictably quickly and in some instances disruptively.

There's a lot of examples of foreign mercenaries who leave inconveniently like Cobus. There are few top draw foreigners who stick with a club for 3 contracts like Ayerza.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 22:10 by Saint Maul.

Posted by: Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 22:35

Iím surprised supporters are not more concerned, a big loss for me!

None of the other nines we have are as fast as Corbus, you cannot beat pure gas at scrum half hence why he has terrified so many defences.

Just a pity we could not have offered him a package to stay.

Posted by: Saintsfan22 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 12:36

So yesterday after the game I offered cobus my wallet to stay and he said all he wanted was a beer. Later he took a beer and drunk just under half - is he now contractually obliged to stay and should we seek legal advice to keep him?

Current Page: 4 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net