Posted by: Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 16:40

[www.northamptonchron.co.uk]
particularly to replace Brussow and Mitch Eadie

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Re: Boydy wants two more back rows
Posted by: Nath-coys (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 18:19

Very interesting and honest piece from Boydy again.
Shows how a team that stick too the cap have to be pretty clever with the squad building.
With Ludlam playing for England regularly, Furbank starting too, Dingwall and Moon having been called up. And Mitchell will win the SH spot sooner rather than later I would think. Not sure when there renewals are but they will all be expecting a bump up in dosh.

As well as numerous others playing more in the Prem will also expect more money in there next contracts.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 18:31

We need an exciting ball carrier

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 18:31

I do wonder if someone at the club monitors social media etc. It seems coincidental that a lot of noise has been made over the past few weeks about lack of recruitment and that there must be a gap in the cap as Brussow has retired, next thing there is a press release regarding recruitment.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 18:38

Boydy said several weeks ago that there was 3-4 spots in the squad still to be filled and tempos fugit.

Since then weíve announced Nic Auterac, and seemingly Joel Kopoku has backed out so maybe Ryan Glynn might be a longer term option than just injury cover if we were in the market for a lock and two back rowers to replace James Haskell and Heinz is a pretty fair guess and Iím sure work is going on.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 18:38

It isn't necessarily a good thing for a club to publicise that it is actively recruiting, especially which positions. That could easily lead to over-optimistic salary requests by agents and players and before you know it you're in a bidding war. I very much doubt that the Club is in any way swayed by what is posted on social networks.

Posted by: BuckSt (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 18:53

I see Brad Shields is 8 for Wasps this weekend. Was rumoured to be on our radar. Personally I think he would be great for the team- world class experience knows Boyd well and has worked with Jones for those looking for international honours. Can be support for T at 8 and be in competition with others in the back row but wonít necessary block progression of the younger promising players such as Tonks and Uru.

Posted by: ch saint (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 19:24

Well balanced and sensible statement from Boydy,
I very much doubt that recruitment tactics are driven by this message board tbh. I like the way the club is going about recruitment as stated above it demonstrates the real constraints of the wage cap. Shame Sarries still havent bought into it.

Date: 20 February, 2020 20:20

Quote:
ch saint
I very much doubt that recruitment tactics are driven by this message board tbh. I like the way the club is going about recruitment as stated above it demonstrates the real constraints of the wage cap. Shame Sarries still havent bought into it.

ch, should you be referring to my post I did not suggest in the slightest that this message board or the much wider and many hundreds if not thousands following Saints on groups on Facebook and Twitter have any influence on recruitment.
My point was, do the club monitor these outlets as questions over lack of recruitment have been commonplace over the past few weeks and the club have released a statement that goes toward answering those questions.
We are at season ticket renewal time, the club need to be seen to be making positive statements to retain any doubters and hopefully attract new support.
Don't underestimate the influence of social media, positive or negative, Facebook especially.

Posted by: Statesman (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 20:46

Quote:
ch saint

Not sure. Very positive about Boyd et al but I think recruitment can be criticised. I think Proctor will be a good hire but not impressed by the rest. Given we must be well under the Cap I think cover in the 4-8 slots should have come earlier.

Date: 20 February, 2020 20:46

Bracelet - itís a possibility they do I suppose. They do have a social media team for example. But Iím not sure they actively would look to talk about what the fans are talking about very regularly.
Now if people in media that have access to the interviews do then that would make sense. We view there content and the more of us that view it the better they are doing their job effectively. So it would be fairly smart for them to get fans questions answered.

Although I think Boyd has been pretty transparent on Signings and squad building ever since he has arrived at franklins gardens. I donít think it is in his character to play smoke and daggers. And so far it has worked well.

I have confidence the signings will be right and work for the club.

I think Shields while maybe not a huge statement signing would be smart business. And is obviously English qualified.

Posted by: andysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 20:55

CertainLy the back row needs addressing and as Wilson says ball carriers are a must.

He mentions no big money signings at 9 but that doesnít mean a signing wonít be made. Taylorís had a good season on the whole but went off the boil recently. Tupai perhaps not ready yet. Puts a lot of pressure on Mitchell. If heís away with England..I think we need another good quality player there.

We seem content at hooker. Numbers wise itís fine. In terms of quality we took a hit there when Dylan retired. Haywood is good and I am pleasantly surprised at his form after that nasty injury. I canít help but feel we could do with a bit more quality there.

Is Api contracted next season? If not, another lock?

Bar 9 we look ok amongst the backs. Hopefully Francis has no long lasting damage with his latest concussion. I am worried about his long term future in the game and full stop however, he takes a lot of bangs to the head. How many more can he take?

Date: 20 February, 2020 21:07

I think the problem with recruitment for any club now, is nobody knows if the RFU will allow a change in the foreign player rule which currently stands at two players on the pitch at the same time.
Good British players and any players eligible for a UK passport are now subject to a bidding war as it is no good recruiting players that you can no longer freely use. The consensus seems to be that the RFU are against increasing the number as it will force clubs to play English players which will increase the strength in depth of the national team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2020 21:08 by Brackleysaint.

Posted by: saintsfella (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 21:49

The sceptic/realist in me suggests that Boyd wouldnít go on record to say we need 1/2 back rowers without being fairly certain we will / have landed 1/2 back rowers. Otherwise he has set himself up for failure. Based on gossip (and other managerial news) youíd hope we have a shout of Shields at least. I wouldnít be surprised if this is done.

Date: 20 February, 2020 23:18

Shields playing 8 this weekend.. I think itís better than 50/50 he joins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2020 23:18 by Wilson Pickett.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 00:22

For me the jury is very much out on whether Boyd is anywhere near as good in the transfer market as he is undoubtedly exceptional at bringing on young talent. I'd question how astute some of our signings have been.

Next season will be Boyd's third season where he has decided recruitment and renewals ie every player's contract will have been signed or renewed under his approval. So it is his choice of team.

I see a skillful, hard-working and mobile forward pack well-suited to how the game is played in New Zealand but equally a pack under-powered for English/European conditions and repeatedly exposed by powerful packs.

We've also lost a lot of experience and leadership and it has cost us in tight games - Dylan, Heinrich, Haskell, Myler, Burrell, Pisi and we lose Cobus next season etc

I still think we'll be competitive and fun to watch but I'm underwhelmed by recruitment both individually and also in terms of addressing enduring and self-evident issues. I'm not convinced lessons are being heeded.

Date: 21 February, 2020 00:47

Isnít ďthe third season of...Ē a little deceptive. He didnít sign Brussouw or Biggar (on 3 year deal?) and joined our season late after super rugby.... by Christmas 2020 it will essentially be 2 years of his recruitment.

Haskell was unlucky. B Franks was signed as a culture player. I think the culture has dramatically changed so they worked from that perspective. O Franks is just getting into the swing after hand injury. Proctor is class, again injury hampered his start... and neither had a pre-season with us. Letís see how the likes of Glynn and Auterac go.

I do agree that next year there are zero excuses. The shape of the squad will be his.

Date: 21 February, 2020 01:15

It is a hugely difficult balancing act to get right.
We could of gone and signed Etzebeth or Retallick hypothetically, but would Moon of been called in too a England squad? No not a chance because he likely wouldnít of played enough.

We do seem to be putting more of our Eggs in the basket of our Academy guys will come good and then try and add some clever recruitment around that rather than our recruitment being our focal point to success.

I would also say we are judging this at a time when we have been hit by 6Nís call ups and a incredibly bad injury list.

As a overall squad view I would say in my opinion....

Front row - Scrum has improved so recruitment/coaching must be wiorkinh to a degree?
Lock - incredibly bad luck with injuries. And then a suspension. Not sure they would of invisiged a call up for Moon in the 6Nís either. I could see Glynn staying if his few months isnít a disaster.
Back row - I do think we look light here both in the sense of bulk and quality options. Defo a area of need. Which Boyd has a addressed.
9 - loosing cobus. Happy with Mitchell/Taylor. Probably a 4th choice squad player to be bought in.
10 - I think we have seen the difference Biggar makes to our team now surely? The experience, drive and will to win makes us a different animal I feel. Good to have talent of Grayson as number 2.
Centres - pretty stacked. Few injury concerns but canít justify more recruitment to that area.
Back 3 - pretty well stacked again I would say. Having harry m back defo adds to the depth. I donít think we will recruit here tbh I think anyone does leave there is a few academy players they will look to fill the spot with.

So overall our recruitment and development of academy players leaves us with only 1 area I think obvious recruitment is needed and that is Back row.

As said above I think 3rd season is when we can really judge as the back row recruitment will of been done.

Posted by: stjj (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 09:14

Brackleysaint
Do you seriously think that our DoR needs to monitor social media to help him realise where we have gaps and plan recruitment to fill them? Surely he only makes announcements when something is happening, not because heís been prompted by social media?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2020 09:19 by stjj.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 09:43

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Isnít ďthe third season of...Ē a little deceptive. He didnít sign Brussouw or Biggar (on 3 year deal?) and joined our season late after super rugby.... by Christmas 2020 it will essentially be 2 years of his recruitment.
Haskell was unlucky. B Franks was signed as a culture player. I think the culture has dramatically changed so they worked from that perspective. O Franks is just getting into the swing after hand injury. Proctor is class, again injury hampered his start... and neither had a pre-season with us. Letís see how the likes of Glynn and Auterac go.

I do agree that next year there are zero excuses. The shape of the squad will be his.

I said next season will be the third season Boyd has decided recruitment and renewals.

Hopefully not deceptive at all. But for clarity Boyd signed in January 2018 and came and assessed players prior to contract renewals.

He was part of the decision-making that saw Elliot, Foden, Myler, Nutley etc leave and Franks join for 2018-19 season.

Looking at the squad the only player I can think of where he hasn't had a say is Biggar. He recently re-signed Big T. Is there anyone else?

So like I say next season will be the 3rd season:
1: 2018-19
2: 2019-20
3: 2020-21 (by when all bar Biggar will be players Boyd has chosen)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2020 09:46 by Saint Maul.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net