Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Boydy wants two more back rows
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 09:58

I don't think its a case of Boyd looking on message boards for recruitment areas. I think the point was made that everything had gone quiet from the club but its possible that a member of the marketing/ media team picked up the uncertainty over recruitment on a number of boards so encouraged a comment to be made.

I'm sure Boyd knows what he's doing.

Sounds like we can expect 2 back rows, and a lock if Glynn doesn't work out, otherwise I suspect Glynn may stay longer.

Of the back row, I could see Shields come along. Knows Boyd, his system, is highly regarded by Boyd and isn't going to be the most expensive. The other I hope is a big ball carrying lock/6/8, probably an Islander type physique... think Manoa. There must be someone out there!

Posted by: Statesman (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 10:38

Iíd be staggered if Saints didnít have somebody monitoring this and other social media platforms - direct customer feedback - invaluable in running a successful business. Whether they take any notice of what is said regarding players is a different matter - I wouldnít be surprised if Boydy didnít even know that this platform exists.

Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 10:40

Boyd has excelled at bringing on talent. A bunch of academy graduates are indebted to him for getting them into international contention: Hutchinson, Moon, Furbank, Mitchell, Dingwall. He also brings out the best in experienced players like Waller, Wood, Cobus, Big T etc too.

Recruitment and squad budget planning is a far more mixed bag.

As a DoR his duty is to make the budget stretch as far as possible. He is paid to make hard decisions. I'm starting to get the suspicion he is too nice when it comes to academy graduates. The professional rugby market is small meaning quality players like Elliot, Nutley, Stephenson and Packman struggle to get Premiership contracts. Yet Boyd talks of academy products deserving more pay. In an ideal world true but that means less money to spend on game-changers. My take is a more ruthless DoR would have achieved more money to spend. Boyd strikes me as a top draw coach and lovely human being but DoR is a business role which needs a little hard-nosed ruthlessness.

For me, he also overly looks to kiwi players he trusts rather than backing himself to bring in top draw outsiders and get them to buy into and model his vision.

Boyd's recruitment has been:

Ben Franks
Proctor
Bird-Tullock
Owen Franks
Olowofela
Bean Garside
Taylor
van vuuren
Matavesi
Auterac

Hence why I say underwhelming in the context we have or are losing: Dylan, Heinrich, Cobus, Burrell, Haskell, Pisi etc

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 10:41

Quote:
Nath-coys
It is a hugely difficult balancing act to get right.
We could of gone and signed Etzebeth or Retallick hypothetically, but would Moon of been called in too a England squad? No not a chance because he likely wouldnít of played enough.

We do seem to be putting more of our Eggs in the basket of our Academy guys will come good and then try and add some clever recruitment around that rather than our recruitment being our focal point to success.

I would also say we are judging this at a time when we have been hit by 6Nís call ups and a incredibly bad injury list.

As a overall squad view I would say in my opinion....

Front row - Scrum has improved so recruitment/coaching must be wiorkinh to a degree?
Lock - incredibly bad luck with injuries. And then a suspension. Not sure they would of invisiged a call up for Moon in the 6Nís either. I could see Glynn staying if his few months isnít a disaster.
Back row - I do think we look light here both in the sense of bulk and quality options. Defo a area of need. Which Boyd has a addressed.
9 - loosing cobus. Happy with Mitchell/Taylor. Probably a 4th choice squad player to be bought in.
10 - I think we have seen the difference Biggar makes to our team now surely? The experience, drive and will to win makes us a different animal I feel. Good to have talent of Grayson as number 2.
Centres - pretty stacked. Few injury concerns but canít justify more recruitment to that area.
Back 3 - pretty well stacked again I would say. Having harry m back defo adds to the depth. I donít think we will recruit here tbh I think anyone does leave there is a few academy players they will look to fill the spot with.

So overall our recruitment and development of academy players leaves us with only 1 area I think obvious recruitment is needed and that is Back row.

As said above I think 3rd season is when we can really judge as the back row recruitment will of been done.

Do you also think there needs to be a mix of seasoned professionals and the exciting pay offered by the improving academy boys.
We have lost Haskell, Brussow and Hartley all would have brought experience to those tight games that we lost

I remember, i'm old, how Shelford changed the thought processes and application of the team when he arrived.
He brought intensity to the game

I wouldn't mind if we brought two experienced players in at lock and 8 to give greater stability and shore up the team when key players are away on international duty. I would welcome a Kruger and Hughes type just to give that stability and go forward while the academy players develop.

Posted by: smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 10:58

Quote:
Statesman
Iíd be staggered if Saints didnít have somebody monitoring this and other social media platforms - direct customer feedback - invaluable in running a successful business. Whether they take any notice of what is said regarding players is a different matter - I wouldnít be surprised if Boydy didnít even know that this platform exists.

Iíd be flabbergasted if he knew this site exists and beyond it (a) if he read it and (b) was even mildly interested in its content.

Date: 21 February, 2020 11:02

We need to see who joined the site around the time Boyd joined us.

Maybe Boyd is a secret lurker! He could be among us right now!

Date: 21 February, 2020 11:04

Quote:
Saint Stokey

Are you Chris Boyd?

Posted by: ramseysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 11:55

Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Saint Stokey

Are you Chris Boyd?

I'm Chris Boyd and so's my wife.

Posted by: BrianB (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 12:02

I am Spartacus!

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 13:44

I am Maximus Decimus Meridius

Date: 21 February, 2020 13:47

Stokeyís not denied it yet!

Date: 21 February, 2020 14:15

I've had a check and it doesn't look like I am.

I have a smile on my face at the moment which I think rules me out!*

Posted by: Nath-coys (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 15:46

[/quote]

Do you also think there needs to be a mix of seasoned professionals and the exciting pay offered by the improving academy boys.
We have lost Haskell, Brussow and Hartley all would have brought experience to those tight games that we lost

I remember, i'm old, how Shelford changed the thought processes and application of the team when he arrived.
He brought intensity to the game

I wouldn't mind if we brought two experienced players in at lock and 8 to give greater stability and shore up the team when key players are away on international duty. I would welcome a Kruger and Hughes type just to give that stability and go forward while the academy players develop.[/quote

Van Wyk
Haywood
Franks
Lawes
Moon
Wood
Ludlum
T
Mitchell
Biggar
Big T
Francis
Proctor
Collins
Furbank

I count 3 players out of that 15 that havenít got International experience/call up too my knowledge.
There is hundreds of Test caps there.
A World Cup winner.
Multiple Prem winners
Super rugby experience.

I think we do need a couple of back rows like we all know, and like you said Deesaint I think some experience, toughness and Ďknow howí needs to be some of criteria those players need to fit. And some go forward.

The squad is stretched at the moment no doubt but the injuries at Lock really are freakish.

We could be talking about still having Ribbans, moon, Api with Coles a England U20 behind them. You really canít plan for loosing those first 3 through injury and suspension at the same time your premier lock is on international duty.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 16:05

thank you Nath for talking sense

Posted by: Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 18:39

Quote:
stjj
Brackleysaint
Do you seriously think that our DoR needs to monitor social media to help him realise where we have gaps and plan recruitment to fill them? Surely he only makes announcements when something is happening, not because heís been prompted by social media?

I suggest you read the post correctly, where have I ever mentioned Boyd or even suggested that social media influences recruitment, I suggest that social media can prompt a PR response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2020 18:59 by Brackleysaint.

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net