Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: England
Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 09:48

If EJ wants to play folk out of position, fine.

But he must expect some attacks when as a consequence, he loses specific advantages with questionable gains. And that is what he gets when he plays Curry at 8.

He loses the skill set a proper 8 brings to the control of the ball at the base. The ability to pick up and launch. The understanding of the needs of any scrum half. The carrying task. The innate ability to know where he should be on the pitch at any time, without thinking.

He also loses the speed of attack Curry brought to the role of wing forward. Curry is not a battering ram. Never has been. So again, EJ loses.

Same applies playing JJ on the wing. He may have the pace. He will not have the same spacial awareness a "full time" winger should have.

Sorry, but for this armchair quarterback, EJ has made a mess of this six nations so far.

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 13:37

Quote:
Neil-H
Yes I am amazed at 5 locks in the squad, not sure what Lewis has done wrong, as looked very capable at international level, but my biggest concern is the bench?
6/2 split again, which ok still not that bad, but Slade hasnít played in over 2 months??? Is he really match fit and international level match fit? If a back get injured after a few minutes, can he really play the majority of the game????

And the chances of Tuilagi not getting his usual injury are?

Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 13:38

Quote:
Longers
If EJ wants to play folk out of position, fine.
But he must expect some attacks when as a consequence, he loses specific advantages with questionable gains. And that is what he gets when he plays Curry at 8.

He loses the skill set a proper 8 brings to the control of the ball at the base. The ability to pick up and launch. The understanding of the needs of any scrum half. The carrying task. The innate ability to know where he should be on the pitch at any time, without thinking.

He also loses the speed of attack Curry brought to the role of wing forward. Curry is not a battering ram. Never has been. So again, EJ loses.

Same applies playing JJ on the wing. He may have the pace. He will not have the same spacial awareness a "full time" winger should have.

Sorry, but for this armchair quarterback, EJ has made a mess of this six nations so far.

Have to agree with this. Itís almost the same as what happened here with Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2020 13:40 by Dragonboy.

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 14:24

Hmmm I think Jim didn't iterate on our style of play and recruited very badly for that style. If you are going to play attritional forwards rugby at least make sure you replace Tonga'uiha then Corbisiero with an elite loosehead! Ditto Mooj then Ma'afu.

Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 16:01

Scenario: The next world Cup we have two 8's in the squad with the kamakazi kids as flankers. Billy V gets injured and we start with the other 8, he gets injured early on. We can play Curry at 8 after he has played several games there, or we choose underhill who has not played there. We go for curry and he plays well and we win WC.

I think EJ did well at the world Cup in spite of a poor 6 nations because we were 100% focused on the WC. We also did not peak too early we trained to peak at the WC and we could well have won it playing 5 southern hem teams in a row. Alternatively we could have been Ireland and looked short term and failed to peak at WC.

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 17:18

Quote:
SaintsAsh
Scenario: The next world Cup we have two 8's in the squad with the kamakazi kids as flankers. Billy V gets injured and we start with the other 8, he gets injured early on. We can play Curry at 8 after he has played several games there, or we choose underhill who has not played there. We go for curry and he plays well and we win WC.
I think EJ did well at the world Cup in spite of a poor 6 nations because we were 100% focused on the WC. We also did not peak too early we trained to peak at the WC and we could well have won it playing 5 southern hem teams in a row. Alternatively we could have been Ireland and looked short term and failed to peak at WC.

You ARE Enid Blyton and I claim my £5

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 19:57

Quote:
SaintsAsh

Im betting BV will not make the next rwc...

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net