Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Exeter v saints
Posted by: JohnI (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 22:09

Quote:
Lowerwatha
Chiefs fan in peace.
When I saw the Saints first 15 selection I was shocked. As already said in this post James Grayson has tremendous potential but to have the Premiership form scrum half on the bench and play Mitchell in only his second start of the season seemed pretty naive.
The referee was only officiating his second Premiership game but he did have an established assistant referee (Foley) and a TMO who seemed happy with his interpretation of the off side decisions. Play the ref!
I thought you lost because you stacked the bench but were to far behind for them to make a difference when they came on

Totally spot on!!!! If we are going to wrestle with the big guys we need to at least put a team out that is on par and not have to chase a game 30 odd points down at half time.

Posted by: Saint For Life (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 22:16

I posted on Friday under team selection that we would lose by 30 plus points - it was blindingly obvious . We are struggling massively with the number of players missing in the 2nd row and back row ( 5th and 6th choice inexperienced Players In the 2nd row against a very powerful Exeter pack !!! I find a large number of posts by several posters who rarely post , only post when we lose , glass empty merchants absolutely ridiculous .

Posted by: Chief-cum-Lately (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 22:35

Quote:
JohnI
Quote:
EXDJ
Quote:
JohnI
Quote:
EXDJ
Quote:
TunbridgeSaint
What have they won? One lucky final where Nathan Hughes had a brain fart in the 80th minute.

Best legally assembled side over the past four seasons...

And you have access to Exeterís financial records for players salaries do you andhence why you make such a bold statement.

I think the assumption is that a side is within the salary cap until demonstrated otherwise...

Exactly so not a fact then since Saracens were only found to be when theirs were checked!

And the relevance of this comment to, well anything, is what exactly?

Posted by: Exeforever (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 11:53

Now that the dust has had time to settle may i just offer the observation that the original team selection was the root cause of Northampton's struggles yesterday; compounded by Boyd's remarks that: "We got through to 34 minutes and it was 8-0 and the plan was to try and get through the first 40 minutes with minimal damage and see if we could bring some fresh guys on at half-time".

In 50 years' involvement with the game this is the most bizarre strategy that I have ever come across. If you want to keep your powder dry for the European QF then play your second XXIII by all means, but to pack your bench with first choice starters and tell your actual starters to go out there and keep the score down for 40 minutes doesn't appear to make any sense whatsoever.

I think that much of what happened in the second half actually reflected this. Failing to spot Hendrickson coming through a cleverly created gap is one thing. Failing to tackle a prop who is, to be kind, not in the first flush of youth, from running in a a try from 10 or 15 metres is unforgivable at schoolboy level let alone Premiership. You conceded 5 tries in the second half when your "better" players were on, to the three in the first half. The whole game suggested that the team weren't really interested and the coaches have a lot of questions to answer both to themselves and to the supporters IMO.

To those who think that Exeter will be a softer touch in the warmer weather:
We have played 4 successive finals in hot weather and last year scored 34 points against a Saracens side put together without considerations of cost or legality.
The pitch at Exeter is 4G/Desso (same as Twickenham) and it scarcely rained yesterday. The surface plays similarly throughout the year.
If everyone is fit you will face a totally different 11 to 15 in the Cup comprising 3 B&I Lions and 2 England Centres.

Yesterday was a complete one-off game for the reasons given above (and many others). I don't think either side's supporters should be drawing any conclusions from it, at least in reference to the remaining games to come between our two sides.

Posted by: emohawk (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 12:58

Could I just add that there are plenty of other sides that I wish we could have beaten by 50pts yesterday - Saints are not one of them.

Posted by: JohnI (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2020 15:01

[quote Chief-cum-Lately][quote JohnI][quote EXDJ][quote JohnI][quote EXDJ][quote TunbridgeSaint]What have they won? One lucky final where Nathan Hughes had a brain fart in the 80th minute.
[/quote]

Best legally assembled side over the past four seasons...[/quote]

And the relevance of this comment to, well anything, is what exactly?[/quote]

In reply to yet another Exeter moan or reference about Saracens and the salary cap thatís why!!!

Posted by: EXDJ (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2020 18:10

Making the exact same point that some Saints fans made beforehand?

Posted by: Longers (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2020 14:53

Getting back to the game....

I was very impressed by Alex Coles. Given that he had relatively little experience around him, I thought his carrying, and general work rate was worthy of mention.

Sorry to interrupt! (Sm128)

Current Page: 6 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net