Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it all doom and gloom?
Posted by: Saint.Jimmy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 14:55

With losses to Irish (H), Bristol (H) and Exeter (A) preceded by a tight win against Wasps at the Ricoh is it fair to say that the Boyd honeymoon period at the start of the season is well and truly over or are we just playing potential Top 4 teams without key players, with many injured during the 6Nations?

Iím by no means making excuses for the atrocious display that was on show today but I wonder if we need to take this result with a little pinch of salt.

In many ways it would be hard to imagine a worse display next week, which is some small comfort.

Re: Is it all doom and gloom?
Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 14:57

Quote:
Saint.Jimmy
In many ways it would be hard to imagine a worse display next week, which is some small comfort.

Hold my beer....

(I've got a really, really, really horrible feeling about next week's game.)

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2020 14:59 by Matthew.

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 15:16

We aren't as bad as we looked today. We aren't as good as our league position. Certainly not all doom and gloom but some of the game plan needs to change.

Posted by: BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 15:16

Yes

Posted by: Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 15:45

Yes it is...

We are miles off the pace on competing with Exeter. Iím not sure Chris Boydís style of rugby is robust enough to win a campaign. For sure an attractive brand when weíre firing, but itís not physical enough against top sides.

We need to offload a number of players who are not good enough, Eadie, Tuala, Collins, and we need a world class 8, like Samu in his prime!!

Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 15:53

Chill, let's see how we are next week. Saracens also had a 50 point thrashing this weekend against 3rd from bottom. We got a 50 point thrashing against top of the table and without breaking the salery cap and with only two locks in the squad.

Posted by: Saintfanh (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:04

Quote:
Hollywood JK
Yes it is...
We are miles off the pace on competing with Exeter. Iím not sure Chris Boydís style of rugby is robust enough to win a campaign. For sure an attractive brand when weíre firing, but itís not physical enough against top sides.

We need to offload a number of players who are not good enough, Eadie, Tuala, Collins, and we need a world class 8, like Samu in his prime!!

Agree to an extent on the first paragraph but disagree completely on Tuala and particularly Collins. With statements like that we need several deep intakes of breath.

Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:12

Northampton director of rugby Chris Boyd told BBC Sport:

"Fifty-seven, 27, 37, doesn't bother me. We chased the game at the end and coughed up two or three soft tries, so that last little bit for me is almost irrelevant.

"We got through to 34 minutes and it was 8-0 and the plan was to try and get through the first 40 minutes with minimal damage and see if we could bring some fresh guys on at half-time, which was a pre-panned move to see if we could attack it a different way.

"But between 34 minutes and 40 minutes eight became 22 and then we chased the game, so we paid the price in the end for overplaying, being ill-disciplined and trying to solve problems that guys took it upon themselves to solve."

Posted by: herbie85 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:31

Wanted him to come out and slate it like he has before. Might not be full interview but much rather he comes out and says we weren't at races 1-23 and I need to look at things.

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:35

Probably as shell shocked as the rest of us

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:06

I did say last week ďwe will lose the next 2 matches, the moaners and Ajack will lower expectations, happy daysĒ

all to script, happy days

Letís see where we are in May

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:11

Had no expectations of a win today. Still, very disappointing performance in many respects. Didnt turn up and got pasted. Hopefully a response next week.

Date: 23 February, 2020 17:23

If we lose in similar fashion from April onwards then sceptics are right. I suspect mean reversion to pre-6Nations.

Posted by: St Saltaire (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:57

Itís not all doom and gloom. 2nd place flattered us and we have been hit hard with injuries and some unexpected 6N selections. We play an exciting brand of rugby that doesnít always work- the result away against Bath in the mud was an indicator that our pack struggles in an arm wrestle. With the dearth of locks I anticipated that Exeter would attack ruthlessly up front and beat us up. I didnít reckon on such a pasting but for once Iím with WP on this - we will improve vastly as the pitches dry and our Internationals return. Top four is still a likelihood as only Exeter are clearly ahead of us (I donít count Saracens in the analysis).
The rugby under Boyd has been light years ahead of the two years preceding his arrival. We were all lauding the breakthrough of Academy players a short while ago, they will come good but will learn by some painful lessons on the way.

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:57

Not all gloom and doom, things seldom are. However we do need to have a serious look at what is happening or at least those in charge do, we are way off of where we were at the start of the season, skill levels have really drooped and we seem to have been worked out by pretty much everyone.

Of course we were missing some key players but just off the top of my head Exeter were using third/ forth choice hookers and the back line was missing Hill, Devoto, Slade, Nowell, Cuthbert and Hogg, I am sure there are more but god only knows what they will do to us when they all return unless we massively up our game.

Posted by: JohnI (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:19

The problem today again seems to be playing an exciting brand of rugby at a very fast pace but with at least 50% of the players handling just not good enough for that sort of rugby hence why so many knock ins or lost balls. Additionally our tacking yet again has let us down in a huge way and at least three tries today came from both those issues happening one after the other.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:19

I have a lot of faith in some of our younger players but I think that it is fair to say that Furbank aside, none of them has taken the Premiership by storm - those players don't come along very often. Hutch, Dingwall, Mallinder, Grayson, Painter and Mitchell will all get better - throw in a Biggar, Harrison, Lawes, Ribbans, Ludlam, Proctor and we have the basis of a decent team. Unfortunately a whole host of youngsters coming through at the same times gives negatives as well as positives. What is the best combination, can they think on their feet and turn a game around ? Sometimes a player looks to have really good potential but then lacks that vital last piece in their personal jigsaw which makes the difference between a journeyman and a star, we have a few of these on the books.

This season has been distorted by the RWC and the Saracens Affair. Only Exeter have shown real quality from day one and they have had three defeats and a couple of close calls. To compete at the very highest level you need at least thirty players who are more than comfortable starting in a Premiership game PLUS your International call ups. At the moment, Saints squad is not quite there in terms of balance and quality.

Posted by: Flook (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:25

Date: 23 February, 2020 18:55

Quote:
Aberavon Wizard
I have a lot of faith in some of our younger players but I think that it is fair to say that Furbank aside, none of them has taken the Premiership by storm - those players don't come along very often. Hutch, Dingwall, Mallinder, Grayson, Painter and Mitchell will all get better - throw in a Biggar, Harrison, Lawes, Ribbans, Ludlam, Proctor and we have the basis of a decent team. Unfortunately a whole host of youngsters coming through at the same times gives negatives as well as positives. What is the best combination, can they think on their feet and turn a game around ? Sometimes a player looks to have really good potential but then lacks that vital last piece in their personal jigsaw which makes the difference between a journeyman and a star, we have a few of these on the books.
This season has been distorted by the RWC and the Saracens Affair. Only Exeter have shown real quality from day one and they have had three defeats and a couple of close calls. To compete at the very highest level you need at least thirty players who are more than comfortable starting in a Premiership game PLUS your International call ups. At the moment, Saints squad is not quite there in terms of balance and quality.

Young players learn from experienced players. Thatís why Saracens young guys came on so well... they were over spending the cap on a squad of experienced super rugby or international players that they all learnt from.

When we are without our experienced players it is no surprise the younger guys donít just take over the reins. It is no surprise posters were eulogising about the young players when our senior guys were playing.

Itís not rocket science.

Posted by: Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 19:44

Iím sorry to say too many of our young players are not good enough!! They are ok squad players but none who have that magic like Corbus, and he is leaving...

Worrying signs for me the lack of recruitment since January?? Where is the beef, and no.8 that is much needed?

Chris Boyd could be the next Todd Blackadder in not realising super 15 is totally different to the Premiership here where 3 months is played in atrocious conditions, where you need a massive physical presence!

Also is it me, or have the Franks brothers hardly made an impact in their performances??

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net