Current Page: 1 of 2
England
Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:26

Fantastic 55 minutes by Courtney for England
That is exactly what we missed earlier

Re: England
Posted by: lilyg (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:38

Jaco Piper is pretty awful though - Conor Murray might as well have given their 8 the ball at the scrum, flying off their feet, in at the side, but it was the feeding of the scrum that's really peed me off.

On a bright note - absolutly right, Courtney has been outstanding!

Re: England
Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:57

Man of the match good, in fact!

Which is particularly nice because at England level he rarely seems to get rated above 7 or 8 out of 10 because his benchmark is against his own already high standards.



ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Re: England
Posted by: tedge (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:57

and MoM on his 31st birthday !

Re: England
Posted by: BrianB (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 16:58

Well done Courts for mom. He is always at a high level.

Re: England
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:05

Eddie Jones rubbish and should be sacked because he lost away against France, currently the best team in the comp.

Re: England
Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:07

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Eddie Jones rubbish and should be sacked because he lost away against France, currently the best team in the comp.

And he plays players out of position
Like Courtney at 6

Re: England
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:21

To be fair Courtney is a 4/6 but yeah


Ireland are the international equivalent of Leicester. Great resources, ageing squad, no ideas and donít enjoy playing for the coaches.

Re: England
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:51

A great performance by Courtney he seems to get better with age and perform different roles when he is asked to.
An even more impressive performance by England considering they play so many people out of position and have a rubbish captain and coach if you believe what is written on here.

Re: England
Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:06

Courtney has been immense for England for the last 12-18 months.

Re: England
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:55

Quote:
ajack
A great performance by Courtney he seems to get better with age and perform different roles when he is asked to.
An even more impressive performance by England considering they play so many people out of position and have a rubbish captain and coach if you believe what is written on here.


Amen

Re: England
Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 20:20

Courtney was indeed immense but the most gratifying thing was that he got MOM. Richly overdue for me as all too often heís been passed over for the chosen ones. Farrell and Itoje and really what the muck was Farrell doing hanging on like a clinging baby to the Irish forward. You donít need a captain that has brain farts like that.

Re: England
Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 20:24

The sign of a great coach. Makes selections most disagree with and wins convincingly. Players out of position had good games. Courtney. I also thought Joseph was excellent.

Re: England
Posted by: SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 23:23

Eddie is crap :p

Re: England
Posted by: Nath-coys (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 00:21

Iím very interested in what EJ is trying to achieve this 6Nís, I thought there might of been blooding of more new players.
Do we think he wants them to get more Prem experience and takes them in the Summer?
Does he think a 3 year cycle to the WC is more effective?
Ireland was literally the same squad for 4 years previous to the last WC and they peaked well too early!
Is it mind games to the young guys saying youíve got to earn these shirts and Iím not picking you till you do?

All things Iím looking forward too playing out over the next year or so.

Re: England
Posted by: chappers_saint (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 08:02

For me Courts and Ford were superb, he is really having a good tournament no matter what others say. Farrell can kick but still to petulant to be skipper.

I'm still working out if Eddie is the messiah or a naughty boy. Maybe both?

Re: England
Posted by: Walks11 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 09:20

I think Jones strategy is very interesting. He is challenging the norm in terms of positioning and if you allow yourself to not get too blinkered it makes sense. If you take the back row for example, as long as the back row is balanced to make sure you are covering the fundamentals what does it matter what number is on the back. A traditional 8 is a big ball carrier with good footballing skills. How often does an 8 required to be skilful at the back of a scrum? Once maybe twice at most a game. So why select someone just for these 2 game plays and instead think about what impact a different player not traditionally an 8 can have for the other 78 minutes. It looked more balanced with Courts at 6 to offset the Curry/Underhill combination and what they bring. Ludlum for the Scotland game you had 3 very similar players in the back row same could be said for Earl.

Similarly for Joseph on the wing, he is comfortable and very good defender in wide channels and is quick so why not play on the wing where he can also drift around and make interventions in the midfield. The only possible risk was under the high ball. A decent footballer is never going to be bad under the high ball just not quite as good as those doing it week in week out. A small risk that is worth taking given what else he brings.

As I said interesting times. Didnít France pick a centre in the wing without quite the same uproar in their selection.

Re: England
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 09:30

Jones has always thought a bit outside the box, to be the best you have to. Of course with any kind of experimentation it won't always work. The AB's played McCaw at 8 for a while and Australia played George Smith there. Tana Umaga played at 12, 13 and 14 for the AB's so this is nothing new.

If you look at what Jones has achieved over his career he is right up there with the absolute best in the world. I can see no reason to think he is not on the right track at the minute as well.

Re: England
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 12:39

Quote:
Walks11
I think Jones strategy is very interesting. He is challenging the norm in terms of positioning and if you allow yourself to not get too blinkered it makes sense. If you take the back row for example, as long as the back row is balanced to make sure you are covering the fundamentals what does it matter what number is on the back. A traditional 8 is a big ball carrier with good footballing skills. How often does an 8 required to be skilful at the back of a scrum? Once maybe twice at most a game. So why select someone just for these 2 game plays and instead think about what impact a different player not traditionally an 8 can have for the other 78 minutes. It looked more balanced with Courts at 6 to offset the Curry/Underhill combination and what they bring. Ludlum for the Scotland game you had 3 very similar players in the back row same could be said for Earl.
Similarly for Joseph on the wing, he is comfortable and very good defender in wide channels and is quick so why not play on the wing where he can also drift around and make interventions in the midfield. The only possible risk was under the high ball. A decent footballer is never going to be bad under the high ball just not quite as good as those doing it week in week out. A small risk that is worth taking given what else he brings.

As I said interesting times. Didnít France pick a centre in the wing without quite the same uproar in their selection.


On 8, lets have a look at the World Champions:-

SA - Vermuelen, big ball carrying 8
NZ - Read, big ball carrying 8
NZ - Read, big ball carrying 8
SA - Russouw, big ball carrying 8
ENG - Dallaglio, big ball carrying 8
AUS - Kefu, big ball carrying 8
SA - Andrews, big ball carrying 8
AUS - Coker, big ball carrying 8
NZ - Shelford, big ball carrying 8


I know the game changes and adapts but even Toulon, Racing,, Toulouse, Saracens, Leinster, Tigers, Bath.... all the major dominant European club sides have had ball carrying 8s as well.

It is like having a 10 that can kick well, I just think it is pretty fundamental to the mechanics of the game.

Re: England
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 13:02

Clearly if everything else is equal size is an advantage and weights are hard to judge how accurate they actually are.

Having said that Curry is 2kg lighter than Kieran Read, who I would say has pretty much been the best 8 in the world for a while and just to see how things change he is 2 kg heavier than Buck who many would rate as one of the best 8's of all time.

Pat Lam who was a pretty impressive 8 when he lead us to the European cup was 14kg lighter. Billy V comes in at a huge 21kg more.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net