Current Page: 1 of 2
A new angle
Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 19:14

We play open running rugby

Our pack and set piece is under powered

Itís nearly the end of the 6Nations, the weather will improve and get warmer, we are halfway through the fixture list (played every team once), and we are 1 point off 2nd

Re: A new angle
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 19:44

Obviously you can spin things whichever way you want. Equally we are only one point away from fifth and would be sixth if Sarries had not been deducted points.

Some teams have gained more than us from the 6 nations but others have lost more but that is a downside of having current internationals in the squad. The warmer weather and drier pitches also pretty much favour all teams.

Momentum is huge in sport, any sport and we certainly don't have that at the minute. The truth is no one knows where we will finish up and anyone who says they do is either a time traveller or a fool.

Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 20:32

My point of concern is that we haven't been playing well since Christmas despite getting some results along the way. Hopefully things will pick up when (if?) the weather improves, but both defence and attack are failing at the moment and I admire your optimism!

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 20:40

Just a thought
And letís hope not
What happens to your theory if DB and CL get injured

Date: 23 February, 2020 20:45

They don't even need to be injured - they could just have a run of bad form.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Posted by: Deesaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 20:54

This is a bit like de ja vue
Exeter had probably the same number of players missing as we did
However
Their forwards drove the ball and made yards
The loose forwards challenging every breakdown
As well as creating a solid defence line
Their 9 swept behind the backs so any break was covered
They did the basics very well
Even though they had players missing

Why canít we ??

Posted by: Statesman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 20:56

Quote:
Matthew
My point of concern is that we haven't been playing well since Christmas despite getting some results along the way. Hopefully things will pick up when (if?) the weather improves, but both defence and attack are failing at the moment and I admire your optimism!

We havenít played well since November 30th v Tigers save the 2nd half against Lyon. Still, Iím keeping the faith. Ex are way ahead of us. I think Sale are better. I think weíre better than the rest.

Posted by: ElySaint (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 21:35

I think we flattered to deceive in the first quarter of the season. I struggle to be convinced by warmer weather benefitting Saints in some particular regard. It wasn't cold or wet today and we never got going.

Posted by: fleetg (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 22:34

How pleasant !!!

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 07:22

Quote:
ajack
Obviously you can spin things whichever way you want. Equally we are only one point away from fifth and would be sixth if Sarries had not been deducted points.
Some teams have gained more than us from the 6 nations but others have lost more but that is a downside of having current internationals in the squad. The warmer weather and drier pitches also pretty much favour all teams.

Momentum is huge in sport, any sport and we certainly don't have that at the minute. The truth is no one knows where we will finish up and anyone who says they do is either a time traveller or a fool.

No need to get personal

Why canít you ever agree with or something nice about another poster?

Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 07:33

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Quote:
ajack

No need to get personal

Why canít you ever agree with or something nice about another poster?

I am not getting personal, the truth is no one knows where any team will finish at the end of the season, with the exception of Sarries, but even then I guess some other team could get deducted even more points, however it is extremely unlikely.

Equally no one knows how the Euro will compare to the pound in six months time or what the weather will be on the first of May at 12:00 in Northampton.

Anyone who says they must either be able to travel in time or not be telling the truth, simple as that.

I agree with lots of things other people say, but only if it is backed up by facts or has a sound logic to it.

Posted by: Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 09:33

I'm a Saints supporter. I'm happy with the coaching set up and the direction they are taking us.
Before they came I would have been delighted to be in our current position. Yes it was a bad result yesterday, but COYS!

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 10:32

Quote:
Deesaint
This is a bit like de ja vue
Exeter had probably the same number of players missing as we did
However
Their forwards drove the ball and made yards
The loose forwards challenging every breakdown
As well as creating a solid defence line
Their 9 swept behind the backs so any break was covered
They did the basics very well
Even though they had players missing

Why canít we ??

Exeter have been building that team and style for years. We changed our entire methodology last season and our defence a couple of weeks ago. We do have a few excellent Internationals but beyond that we have some good club players but an awful lot of Youth that need to all improve.

I think we need to be realistic with where we are as a team.

That does not mean we shouldn't expect more and the recent losses (ignoring Exeter) are very frustrating as they would have made things look a lot different.

My current expectations are still top 2, but that assumes we get our new defensive structure working for more than just 30 mins. And that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Scooby Saint COYS (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 10:32

I agree with WPís point that our style of play and relatively lightweight-but-mobile pack should be more suited to the warmer conditions at the end of the season. And that weíre seriously hit by players being unavailable at the moment, who should come back.

All that said, the scale of this weekendís defeat was very disappointing, and Iíd be amazed if the players/coaching staff didnít feel that they need a reaction to it next week. I just donít believe for a second that theyíll be content with that performance.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 10:58

I agree with all of what you put Duck, just maybe not top 2

A few years ago Exeter where missing that top few inches, as people like to say... then couldn't break it in Europe, so tweaked squad even more, Hogg, Cpl big horrible Boks and next season adding Grey... it has taken them some years, it will take us the same imho, you cant expect it in 2 seasons

Over 30+ years of following Saints, its been a rollercoaster of a journey and I expect it to continue smiling smiley

Posted by: Stevie Myler's right boot (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2020 10:42

You canít underestimate what Biggar brings to the team. Personally I donít think weíd have lost to Irish and Bristol with him playing. Grayson is a great talent but the experience and all round doggedness of Biggs makes a huge difference to how we play - from freescoring weíve averaged one try per match in last 3

Posted by: Awaywin (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2020 11:48

The issues with Grayson compared to Biggar is that he inevitably plays with when Biggar is away. Meaning he plays when our best players are away so with inferior players and during an injury crisis. He is arguably the more expansive player who suits our game but we donít have the players around him who can earn him the right to play and be expansive at the time of year when the conditions donít suit playing this.

Oh for Stephen Myler for another season.

Date: 25 February, 2020 12:21

Itís a fair point with who he has around - I find it interesting though that usually when Biggs starts Grayson is not on the bench so he doesnít get an opportunity to play with those players - itís all or nothing

Date: 25 February, 2020 12:43

Quote:
Stevie Myler's right boot
You canít underestimate what Biggar brings to the team. Personally I donít think weíd have lost to Irish and Bristol with him playing. Grayson is a great talent but the experience and all round doggedness of Biggs makes a huge difference to how we play - from freescoring weíve averaged one try per match in last 3

We were, however, freescoring at the beginning of the season when Biggar was in Japan....

Date: 25 February, 2020 13:58

At the start of the season you have the element of surprise which as the games crack on and teams analyse how you play you lose that advantage - itís interesting that teams are running blitz defence against us and looking to stop us going wide and going round the outside

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net