Sarries squad
Posted by: Sir Hector (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 15:59

Sarries have announced a 39 strong senior squad for the remainder of this season and next with a further 6 loanees due to return for the following campaign. That sounds rather lean in comparison to the Saints squad that looks to number 55 for the same period. That seems to suggest that there are a lot of highly paid individuals on their books and the only way to keep them is to cut the squad numbers. It also suggests this is less true for Saints perhaps. Whilst they might be able to put out a formidable first XV, a couple of injuries and international commitments will test their resources.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 16:40

But if you add their 15 senior academy players that makes 54. We include senior academy players in squad numbers to make our 55.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 17:18

Their second row looks light at 4 especially as they’ve lost 3 top draw locks from this seasons. Maybe Rhodes will fill in again although Jon Kopoku will undoubtedly be in their senior academy. I actually thought Rhodes and Calum were exiting but maybe there keeping seats warm for 2 of the loanees

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 09:29

Don't forget they'll have much more ability to rotate the squad in the championship, essentially playing the big guns when they need game time or against the two or three teams that would otherwise be challenging for promotion, those academy lads will likely get a fair bit of game time which might actually benefit Sarries in the longer term like our season in the championship allowed for a few converts and new players to bed in.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 09:39

I expect Saracens to return to business as usual when they return. I see no evidence that they accept what they did was wrong and as they kept all their ill gotten gains its probably worth a seasons "rest" to them.

Our job, and the other Prem teams is to make sure they don't get that chance. If this exciting bunch of youngsters gets another year to develop i think we will be looking very good indeed. And as for Saracens? Well as said elsewhere, this mythical "rotation" policy that no longer seems to exist does mean they are working the same (very good) players harder all the time, a number of which are not getting any younger so it could just be that their dominant team is coming to a natural end anyway so having a season to look at new younger options (if they do) could be good for them, OR if they think they can sit back and rest perhaps they will do a Tigers, Saints ... etc and drop off a cliff.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: ajack (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 10:03

Quote:
Duckonstilts
I expect Saracens to return to business as usual when they return. I see no evidence that they accept what they did was wrong and as they kept all their ill gotten gains its probably worth a seasons "rest" to them.
Our job, and the other Prem teams is to make sure they don't get that chance. If this exciting bunch of youngsters gets another year to develop i think we will be looking very good indeed. And as for Saracens? Well as said elsewhere, this mythical "rotation" policy that no longer seems to exist does mean they are working the same (very good) players harder all the time, a number of which are not getting any younger so it could just be that their dominant team is coming to a natural end anyway so having a season to look at new younger options (if they do) could be good for them, OR if they think they can sit back and rest perhaps they will do a Tigers, Saints ... etc and drop off a cliff.

Not sure I really understand what you are trying to say there. They might not believe what they did was wrong but the points they got deducted clearly prove the governing body does, I doubt they will want that again even if they believe what they were doing was okay.

I am not sure how many clubs do have players that are getting any younger, not many I would think. Clearly this is a problem all clubs face you don't want your team getting old together and it is important to have a balance of younger developing players along with experienced old hands as well as a few in their absolute prime. This becomes even more important with the cap as the amount of money a player can demand changes as they improve.

The measure of any really good club IMO is they manage to remain at the top as the staff move on. It is one thing to build a great side for a year or two another to be at the top over a period of time, that applies to all clubs.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 10:23

I still don't see how they can expect to be below the new reduced Cap when they return to the Prem and their loans return.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 12:29

They probably won't. They will spend the time pushing for a ring fenced league where a cap is not required or find new loop holes. They didn't learn after the first time. Why would they learn after the second? The record books still show them as winners. So it paid off

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Saint Maul (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 13:09

Quote:
ajack
I am not sure how many clubs do have players that are getting any younger, not many I would think.

Now that made me chuckle! If Sarries managed that then they've taken cheating to a whole new level and hats off to them!

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 14:46

When did they sign Eroni Mawi? Was it when he was reported to have signed for us?

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: samlee99 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 14:59

Quote:
Duckonstilts
They probably won't. They will spend the time pushing for a ring fenced league where a cap is not required or find new loop holes. They didn't learn after the first time. Why would they learn after the second? The record books still show them as winners. So it paid off

I disagree, I think they will learn.

They will learn to do it much better than last time. After all they still have all the chief cheats in place.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 19:51

Small squad for the Chump, loanees return for the Prem, back up to mid forties, which I think is a pretty standard number. Still not sure how they keep that many but that covo's been done a million times.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 23:20

Quote:
Saint Stokey
I still don't see how they can expect to be below the new reduced Cap when they return to the Prem and their loans return.

I’d assume some of the older players will retire, so haven’t had to be paid off, give. Redundancy etc... others a year left of contracts, be goodbye, same reason

Most teams been signing players up for long term future cause of 75% of salary cap rule... Sarries signed the big names, but how many more, weirdly enough some of the loanees!

The money from retiring players Nd those with one year left on contracts will cover the loanees?

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Jamie_86 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 August, 2020 09:42

Quote:
Saint Stokey
I still don't see how they can expect to be below the new reduced Cap when they return to the Prem and their loans return.

According to the report they were £906,000 over the cap for 2018/19 . That's probably 2 or 3 players salaries. Assuming a similar level for 2019/20, then it wouldn't be that difficult for them to comply for their return season assuming another couple of top players leave before then.

I'm presuming when Farrell et al signed new contracts last month, there would have been a reduction in salary across the board as there were for all the other clubs so it's not that difficult to see how they would do it.



Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 14:19

Quote:
Dragonboy
I actually thought Rhodes and Calum were exiting but maybe there keeping seats warm for 2 of the loanees
Both have signed one year extensions for the next season in the Championship. Will be interesting to see what Clark does next if he looks to extend his playing career or turns to coaching. The Academy coaches are very impressed with the work he's been doing with them apparently.

Re: Sarries squad
Posted by: Dragonboy (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 20:28

Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
Dragonboy
I actually thought Rhodes and Calum were exiting but maybe there keeping seats warm for 2 of the loanees
Both have signed one year extensions for the next season in the Championship. Will be interesting to see what Clark does next if he looks to extend his playing career or turns to coaching. The Academy coaches are very impressed with the work he's been doing with them apparently.

So keeping a seat in the squad for Earl for a year and then a move into coaching possibly. Sounds a good call all around - although I’d guess there will be a disparity in his salary and a returning Earls of course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net