Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Halo and DRS
Posted by: SydneyF1Fan
Date: 19/11/2019 18:43
Quote:
IanSmithISA
In a sense it is easy not to notice it as it has become covered by the large gear, brake and throttle graphic.

Had they added that graphic without there being the halo I suspect that everyone would be complaining about its size and placement.

From the cockpit view, I'd argue that the halo occupies dead space anyway, so the overlay of the graphic is a very creative use of that part of the screen which adds to, not detracts from, the viewing experience.

My sense was that people's biggest objection was being able to identify drivers from the outside view. The initial incarnations of the halo were pretty ugly, but now that ithey blend in to the artwork on the car I hardly notice them and I think it's just as easy to identify the drivers as before. I tend to look for the black or fluro marker on top of the air intake to distinguish the cars anyway as often too hard to pick the helmets.

Quote:
IanSmithISA
Has the halo has been shown to be effective in F1 yet? The LeClerc/Alonso incident at SPA looked dramatic, but the official F1 report said that without the halo LeClerc would have been hit by Alonso's front wing not his wheel. A helmet/front wing impact may or may not have been harmless.
Like the HANS system, the halo is here to stay and the current generation of drivers just accept HANS as part of the clothing, yet when it was introduced there was the same hoo-hah as the halo generated.

I think the Peroni Monza F3 crash is proof enough of its safety value for all open wheelers. I don't think it requires a specific F1 example, but the Alonso/Leclerc incident could have been so much worse a split second later and the Hulk Brazil 2018 crash may have ended differently too.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net