Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: News and Stuff!
Posted by: shriekback
Date: 05/07/2020 10:32
Quote:
Stuart L
Sorry I have changed as a person through several personal tragedies, Iím better for it, and I donít need someone who doesnít know me taking the high and mighty approach on a computer Keyboard berating everyone not nodding along with him.

I wish you well, here and in life, but I donít want to debate this with you any more

You're right Stuart, I don't know you. I'm nevertheless still sorry for you for the terrible things you have undergone in your life. Sincerely.

The "change" that you mentioned and that I referenced, however, was not change in you, but change in the disposition by white society in general toward people of other races as evident in your children. If they are in fact not racist, great--good for them and good for you. Again, however, individuals not having personal animus against people of other races does not mean racial oppression and inequality are solved. It's well and good, for sure, but it's far from the end of the story.

Further, I think your willingness to countenance ill-conceived dismissals of the whole problem of systematic racism (Ian 's posts) and expressions of outrage at peaceful demonstrations against racism (Ozzy's), while you go out of your way to oppose those who respond critically to their posts, suggests that we still have a ways to go even in many people's outlooks. Why do you find their far from modest or conciliatory initial rants fine, but responses to them seem to you bullying? What does that say about your views?

In any case, I'll say it again: If anyone here (including you) doesn't want their views on such things as racism, protests against it, or the disposition F1 and many drivers are taking toward them to be subjected to any criticism, they can simply keep those views to themselves. If you want to express such views only to people who agree with you, go to the pub with your like-minded mates! Hold forth on a publicly accessible web forum, however, and you are asking for a response.

I didn't instigate any of this. Most of those whom I have addressed at all on the issue have in fact ranted on the issue and/or taken shots at me first. Many of them have not been remotely polite. I am not the bully here, I'm just not going to be bullied.

Lewis Hamilton may not yet be the most powerful advocate for social change, but I think he's getting better at it and I too admire him for his willingness to try. If you're in the UK, here's an extended interview in which he explains his recent embrace of the Black Lives Matter movement. Perhaps some of you would find views similar to those I have been trying to articulate more palatable when coming from him:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/12020911/hamilton-on-diversity

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net