Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Mike Brown Defends his Reaction
Posted by: ChipsteadQuin
Date: 20/06/2018 08:19
By Mick Cleary, Rugby Union Correspondent, in Durban
19 June 2018 • 10:00pm

Mike Brown has defended his right to react to a supporter giving him abuse over the tunnel wall following last weekend’s 23-12 defeat to South Africa in Bloemfontein by declaring: ‘I am not a robot. I am a human being.”

In a separate incident Brown’s Harlequins team-mate, prop Joe Marler, was also caught up in an ­exchange with the same spectator, who was venting his anger at what had happened as England went down to their fifth Test defeat in succession.

Brown, the England wing who has scored tries in each Test, took himself off Twitter a while ago as he had become fed up with the “abuse” he was receiving. It was the specific charge that Brown was not trying that really irked the 32-year-old, as well as the fact that the fan was “screaming obscenities”, at him.

“I was very happy with my ­reaction,” said Brown. “I told him to shut up and walked off. I am not a robot. I am a human being.

“He was an England supporter with the flag, the kit, all sorts. I told him to shut up like I would tell ­anyone if they said something like that.

“It surprised me that someone, a supporter who had obviously watched England over a number of years, could say that I don’t try. At the end of the day he can say that he doesn’t like me as a player and that I can’t do this, that or the other: that’s fine, that’s his opinion.

“But don’t ever say I’m not trying because people can see how much effort I put in on the field.

“Even if I make mistakes or don’t play very well, there has never been a game in my career where I have not put 100 per cent effort in. I have got 71 caps and that has never been the case. It is probably over-trying rather than under-trying that has been our problem.”

Brown has always been a spiky character on the field and it is that combative persona that has led to Eddie Jones, the England coach, having so much faith in him.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net